The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Primary/Secondary DNS Sync Issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Tripster, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

Anyone have any tips how to get a secondary to send all it's DNS loaded zones over to a new primary?

I have done all the trust relationship steps, those work, the problem is the existing zones on the secondary are not transfered to primary and as soon as you do a /scripts/dnstransfer it simply copies over the named.conf from the primary basically.

Again there are existing zones on the secondary, those need to show on the primary, how without having to recreate the lot?

2. cyberwisdom

cyberwisdom Well-Known Member

I'm having the exact same problem today.

I copied over the the files from /var/named over to the primary and put all the entries in the named.conf file and for the other server.

The problem is that all the websites on the secondary server are not showing up now on the web. In WHM I can see the Zones but they aren't resolving.

So basically how do we transfer existing zones from a server a new nameserver via the trust relationship?

3. Tripster

Tripster Active Member

*bump*

Has nobody ever had to sync up a loaded secondary to a new primary?

4. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mistaken, the zone transfers always go form the master to the slaves, not the other way round (it would be a chaos). You just have to create the zones in the primary name server and copy the named.conf files regularly to the slaves.

5. cyberwisdom

cyberwisdom Well-Known Member

OK, I got mine to work. I copied over only the files in my /var/named folder of my secondary to my primary.

I also had to copy the /etc/named.conf zones over to the new server. Make sure you only copy over zones that have domains not zones or information that has:
    "rndc-key"
    "/var/named/named.ca"
    "/var/named/named.local"

The reason It didn't work the first time I did it was because It had permission errors with the transferred files.

I had to do the following after transfering my files to the new server:
    chown -R named.named /var/named/

Let me know if that works. Also, try submitting a trouble-ticket in cpanel.net site. They might help you with this.