The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private Name Server (VPS)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skyla, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Skyla

Skyla Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a new VPS setup with 4 IPs bound to it. This is the first time I setup our own private name servers

I have mydomain.com DNS pointed to the host provider's Name servers. They have the DNS zone hosted with them (Allowed 1 domain). I assumed this is how it was meant to work. (There is A entries for both ns1/ns2 setup in their DNS zone)

Hostname - 01.mydomain.com
    IP A - Shared
    IP B/C - Name Servers
    IP D - Reserved for our site SSL later on.

The server main IP is setup properly with IP A

I have registered ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com with eNom (Our registrar) with IP B and C.

I then went to "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" to change my nameserver (originally setup name server with different domain, I cleared any DNS zone attached to them). I was able to change the name no problem and when I assign IP it shows as it assigned the correct IP which is setup already in the DNS zone. (looks normal to me)

My concern are mainly: In WHM - Networking Setup - Nameserver IPs. I see my 2 nameservers with the same IP which is one not bound to my server (No idea). from research I found this is not "important" as long as DNS zone reflects good but I find it odd.

I've gone through several HOW-TOs I found both on this forum and elsewhere. I'm pretty sure I did everything right. One think I'm left confused about is the mydomain.com DNS host.

I have it setup to point to the VPS provider's Name Servers as it's hosted with them. Is this OK as long as the A records exist in their zone for ns1/ns2.mydomain.com? I thought maybe the DNS needed to be hosted with the domain registrar for the Name Server registration to work. Might just be me.

Hopefully this makes sense - let me know if any clarity is required.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! :)

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

The private nameservers consist of two parts.

1. Register your private nameservers at domain name registrar end.
    2. Create ns1 and ns2 A record entries in the DNS zone of your domain name you have hosted in VPS.

You just need to make sure that you entered correct IP address of your VPS in Domain name registrar while registering private nameservers. Also, ns1 and ns2 A record entries should be pointing to correct IP addresses.

3. Skyla

Skyla Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Many thanks, this should mean I'm all set... I'm impatient when it comes to propagation >.>

4. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Happy to help :)

Generally, DNS records take 24 to 48 hours to propagate across the globe. However, sometimes it may not take this much long time.