The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private Name Servers With 1 IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shanemkelley, Jul 8, 2011.

1. shanemkelley

shanemkelley Member

I know there are plenty of topics about this already but I have done everything it has said and still won't work. I'm trying to get 1 IP address for 2 private name servers also if I use the domain I have for my hostname and name servers can i still use it for a account for hosting for my self? I just would like to know how to set up the private name servers in whm and if anyone knows how to also set it up in godaddy that would be a plus.

This is what i have so far.
    Godaddy
    nameservers -ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com and for the host summary i have ns1=111.111.111.111 and ns2=111.111.111.111 and on the whm i have shared ip on and i edited the zones so ns1 and ns1=111.111.111.111

what else or what did i do wrong?

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Name servers are created and assigned an IP address at the domain registrar. You can find instructions on how to register private name servers with GoDaddy at:

Registering Private Nameservers

As far as changing the configuration on the cPanel server, you should complete the following steps:

1) Add your name servers under the Nameservers section at the bottom of "WHM >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup". This ensures the name servers are used in the DNS Zones when domain names are added to the server.

2) Add "A" records for your name servers pointing to their name server IP address using the "Add an A entry for this nameserver" option under the Nameservers section at the bottom of "WHM >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup".

Thank you.