The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private Nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by DannyD, Dec 5, 2008.

1. DannyD

DannyD Member

I am currently starting with webhosting. I have been providing shared hosting, but now I wan to start providing reseller hosting.

1. How do I provide private nameservers? Would his nameservers use my IP addresses the one I use on the server? What if he/she wants a dedicated IP would I have to provide 2 dedicated ip's for each nameserver? How would I set up the IP's with his private nameservers?

2. Now what does he have to do with his domain registrar?

Thanks and I appreciate all the help I can get.

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes the same IP's you use for your name servers, even if using a dedicated IP they can use the same name servers. To set them up do it under Main >> Resellers >> Reseller Center select the reseller at the bottom and click on
    Edit Privileges/Nameservers then add thier ns1 and ns 2 there.

Be sure to Allow Sharing Nameserver Ips under WHM >> Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings

Register his name servers ns1.hisdomain.com and ns2.hisdomain.com with your nameserver IP's

3. DannyD

DannyD Member

When I edit the privileges and i go down to assign IP's it says:

ns1 nameserver and then Assign IP address and add A entry for this nameserver.

Do i have to do any of those or should I just click save?

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it!

4. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just click save, then they share the same your IP's you use for your nameserver, clicking to assign "A" records would have you assigning a different set of IPs which you would burn up a lot of IP's doing that and it is not necessary.

I would make another suggestion that you be sure your hostname is not traceable.

We registered a domain that is not associated with our business name then used private registration on it because the hostname will appear in the end users email and that means the end user can trace thier host via headers (your reseller) back to you, it will cause you to loose resellers. For some reason a lot of reseller use thier company name for their hostname, but it sends business our way :)

Doing this also allows you to have anonymous nameservers for resellers as well.

#4 rhenderson, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  5. DannyD

DannyD Member

How would I set up private registration on a domain? Do you mean whois protection?

6. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Correct, private whois so your not traceable.

7. DannyD

DannyD Member

Thanks! Most people use reseller hosting to sell webhosting so their clients want to see their WHOIS information. So i dont think they will hide it, but thanks for the suggestion. I am testing out the private nameservers ATM.

8. DannyD

DannyD Member

I just asked my server provider whats the Add an A entry button for because you said we do not need to click it and it will work. Well I did just click save and it works but this is what my server company said.

The button for "Add an A entry for this nameserver" adds the needed A records to the dns zone. Without it the nameservers will still work but could have intermittent issues.

rhenderson likes this.
  9. rhenderson

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes you are right, I stand corrected. I was thinking you were assigning an IP, but the resellers do need the A records in thier DNS for the custom nameservers.

10. DannyD

DannyD Member

Thank you!