The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Privileges changed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tloomos, Dec 10, 2002.

1. tloomos

tloomos Member

After installing CPanel, I was no longer able to su- from my admin account. I got it to work by changing permissions on /bin/su to 4755 (from 4750). Is this the proper way to fix it?

Also, when I connect via FTP using my admin account, I can't get to the root of the server - what do I need to change so that the admin accounts ftp access will begin at the root?

2. tloomos

tloomos Member

I'm new to a lot of this, so bear with me...

I read somewhere that you should avoid logging in via ssh as root - you should login as admin and su - when necessary.

The strange thing is that admin was a part of the wheel group - both before and after installing cpanel. However, after installing cpanel, I could not su - from the admin account. I assume cpanel tightened security and that's what caused it - is that a correct assumption? chmod-ing /bin/su 4755 fixed the problem, but I want to make sure that's not a bad thing to do.

And I can't login at all as root via ftp - I'm sure there's just some config file somewhere that I need to change or something - can anyone point me in the right direction?