Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Problem after maildir conversion

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by mtindor, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. mtindor

    mtindor Well-Known Member

    Sep 14, 2004
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    inside a catfish
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A few months back I was wanting to perform a maildir conversion on a Cpanel machine. I don't know what I was thinking, but I had just wanted to test a single mail account.

    I went on Google and did a search and found some utility that would turn the usual inbox (in mbox format) into what I thought was going to be maildir.

    Instead, it turned it into another single-file mailbox format - but not the same one that all the other email accounts were in. Exim was able to deliver into this new mailbox - and would deliver each message in this 'new' mbox format so I just left it as is. When it did this conversion it turned 'inbox' into 'INBOX'

    Anyway, I decided now to do a /scripts/convert2maildir . Worked flawlessly - no problems at all EXCEPT for the two trial email accounts that I ran this conversion thing on a few months back.

    I would like to get the contents of these two INBOX's converted to maildir, but /scripts/convert2maildir does not recognize these two files called INBOX as valid mbox files because they had previously been converted to some other format (still a single-file format - and still something that exim would deliver to).

    A 'normal' mbox type file that you would see in a Cpanel install would have the following at the beginning of every message in the 'inbox' file:

    From Thu Jan 18 17:59:00 2007
    Return-path: <>

    This converted mbox file (which was converted to some other type of single file that could be used on cpanel) has the following as the beginning of each message in the file:

    8-Aug-2006 13:16:55 -0500,4934;000000000001-00000001
    Return-path: <>

    I have a sample of what the top of this 'odd' single-file mailbox looks like as well as the top of the first message in that mailbox file. You can view it at:

    PROBLEM: I cannot remember what i used to convert the standard mbox format 'inbox' to this weird format. If I knew what i used to convert it, I would try and find something similar to convert it back - But I have no idea what I used to convert it.

    If anybody has any idea what script/program I might have used to convert the standard mbox formatted file that you use in Cpanel to that sorry looking strange format that you see at , I would really like for you to let me know what it was - or at least what format this mailbox is in at the moment so I can try to find something to convert back to mbox or to maildir.



    PS: Except where I screwed up those two mailboxes, /scripts/convert2maildir worked perfectly at converting all of my machines mailboxes without any glitches whatsoever. I have 65 accounts on the machine, and the data it converted was about 1.5 GB (compressed). Not sure how large that worked out to be uncompressed. But it did it in about 20 minutes including the upgrading of the software. Had no problems other than the usual things like dealing with customers who use IMAP/webmail and need to resubscribe to folders.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice