Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Problem after mysql root change CPANEL 74 / MySQL Server

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by Gastón, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Gastón

Gastón Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi, I found a problem I can't understand. After a fresh installation CPANEL 74.0.6 With MySQL Server, when I try to change the MySQL Server Password from the WHM, it gives me an error and I can't enter to the MySQL Server anymore. I see the password change in the file /root/.my.cnf but the previous and new passwords are not available anymore.

When I force a new password from "MySQL Root Passwords" the WHM gives me this:

MySQL Root Password
    Updated the password for the active MySQL profile.
    MySQL password change failed!!
    A forced reset will now be attempted.
    Attempting MySQL Root Password Reset

The MySQL root password was reset.
    Applications using MySQL will now be updated.
    Updating “DBcache” configuration … Failed … The subprocess reported error number 255 when it ended.Done Updating “Eximstats” configuration … updateeximstats: database schema is up to date. Success …Done Updating “Roundcube” configuration … Roundcube is configured to use SQLite. This update is for Roundcube using MySQL. Running /usr/local/cpanel/bin/update-roundcube-sqlite-db. Roundcube update from 1.3.3-5.cp1164 to 1.3.3-5.cp1164 in progress. Roundcube updated to 1.3.3-5.cp1164 Success …Done Updating “phpMyAdmin” configuration … Success …Done
    You have successfully changed “root”’s MySQL password.

The only way I found to get it to work again is to go to MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade and make the "upgrade" to mysql-server comunity edition (the same version I installed)

2. Gastón

Gastón Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Gastón

The issue you're experiencing sounds like the case noted in that thread CPANEL-22372 you should be able to manually change the password - this issue is resolved in v76 of cPanel/WHM and is set to be backported to v74 though that hasn't been done yet. Depending on whether or not you have a remote MySQL server added it could be CPANEL-22366 which is explained as follows: Resetting local mysql root password via WHM says successful but actually fails if remote server is also present

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. steven_h

steven_h Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Experiencing this as well, so we won't recommend our +- 1k cPanel users to upgrade yet.

At first I noticed the SQL-root password would fail to reset, it then forcibly generated a new password which was visible in the SQL error log, but not added to ~/.my.cnf

I used a new installation today to doublecheck and oddly enough the SQL root password reset would succeed now, and no questions asked when using mysql in command-line, but mysql -u root -p will not accept the new password (
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    )
    . Turns out only the [client] section is updated in ~/.my.cnf Updating the other fields manually 'fixes' the issue. This is on a CentOS 7 installation btw with WHM/cPanel v74.06