ramil

Dec 28, 2003
Hi,

after updating form 4 to 4.1 mysql works, but I am unable to login via phpmyadmin with error message Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)', and sites with php/mysql are not working, I already made changes on mysql root password, but no sucess...

Regards

inventor

May 14, 2006
hi,

Can you check this case : Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4.1 (required if you have problems with php apps authenticating)

ramil

Dec 28, 2003
yes, but no success..

a mysqld is running, even a Horde! but there is a prblem with other sites with php+mysql, when trying to open sites, its loading for a long time, and when try command 'mysql', got an error:

Access denied for user 'root'@localhost'....

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
ramil said:
yes, but no success..

a mysqld is running, even a Horde! but there is a prblem with other sites with php+mysql, when trying to open sites, its loading for a long time, and when try command 'mysql', got an error:

Access denied for user 'root'@localhost'....
Did you do what inventor suggested and added the old password directive in /etc/my.cnf?

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Adding

old-passwords

to the [mysqld] section in /etc/my.cnf

and running /scripts/restartsrv_mysql

should be effective

If note

try

/scripts/mysqlconnectioncheck

ramil

Dec 28, 2003
finally I did it! :)

I have this problem after updating cpanel to latest stable version...

If you are running a latest stable version of cpanel and FedoraCore 4, dont run upcp with mysql upgrading, the versions of mysql 4.0.26, 4.0.27, 4.1.x are not running properly, you will get a lot of errors like:
- no pid file found...
- no sock file found...
- user mysql not found...
- access denied for user '[email protected]'
- or if Mysql 4.1.x is running but you have a high server loads etc.

just do the following (downgrading to Mysql 4.0.23):

1. Remove mysql from your system
yum remove mysql *
2. go to http://updates.cpanel.net/mysqlinstall/i386/ and download all rpm files except Mysql-bench
3. Run 'rpm -Uvh MySQL-*.rpm --force'
4. Run 'service mysql start' or '/scripts/restartsrv_mysql'

Thats all ;)

kemis

Feb 17, 2005
Georgetown, TX
As I search the threads, I see that others are now having this exact same problem lately (including myself!). So it seems to me this is something bigger than a single user with a misconfiguration problem.

I have cpupdate disabled, but evidently the "System Software" update still runs automatically. Well, last night I got auto-updated to 4.1.19. Since then, I also have Web sites that get the access is denied error, and cpbackup itself can't backup the mysql databases because of the same access is denied problem!

I verified that I do have the "old-passwords = 1" option in my /etc/my.cnf (but I set this through WHM --> Tweak Settings). I also restarted the service using /scripts/restartsrv_mysql but it didn't help. Finally, /scripts/mysqlconnectioncheck simply returned me to the prompt with no output. Is this normal?

Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm in this boat, too, now. Does anyone know why the autoupdate caused these problems? Is cPanel doing anything about it? I guess I can go poke around their bugzilla db. I'll go do that now...

-- Matt

kemis

Feb 17, 2005
Georgetown, TX
Fixed my own problem, too, Ramil! I did it by simply going to WHM --> Change a User or Database Password and resetting my mysql root password back to my usual.

All is well again, I believe.

-- Matt