The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem can somebody explain, [moved]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OS, Aug 19, 2005.

1. OS

OS Member

Problem can somebody explain,

Ok for two whole days nobody on earth knows the problem, im trying to host my vBulletin but not luck because of my host or because of cPanel.

Ive got a domain with 1and1 and ive got hosting with asmallorange, now ive created the dns name servers from 1and1 to point to asmallorange, thats all done.

Now i try forwarding my 1and1 domain to an index file which is in a public_html directory with asmallorange.

and this is what happens, [​IMG]
    you see the status bar? the opening index.htm is repeated so many times and the page dosent load.

But i ask so many people online who have never been to my site if they can see the page, and yes they can see it except me.

Surely i should be able to see the index page from within my cPanel link, but i get same problem, would this be a known problem?? is it the cPanel?? also ive cleared all my cahe cookies etc etc,

help would be much appreciated,

Thanks!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You need to speak to your web hosting provider about such problems. It's most likely to be a .htaccess or VirtualHost configuration issue.

3. OS

OS Member

so do you mean everybody outside of my home network can still see the index pages, but i cannot?

It was working today for an hour atleast, but now the problem is back. I do see the .htaccess file, and ive installed a vBulletin you see do you think its got something to do with that and VirtualHost configuration?? or is the VirtualHost configuration issue to do entirely with my host? shall i delete the .htaccess file?? would it make a difference? I also see this file: .wysywigPro_edit_index_htm.php

#3 OS, Aug 20, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  4. OS

OS Member

i have now fixed the index.htm from repeating it self, after i had fixed that problem my site was working fine and i could see it. After a while the site went all white..., and i cannot see anything. If i ask people outside of my home network i.e. friends or people who havent ever been to my site, they say they can see it and its fully functional, but in my case i saw it working just twice, and its now gone down.

Would anybody know why?? Ive accessed the site from my sisters computer too and still get the same thing, also i did a server check and their interchange has failed do you think it could be that??

[​IMG]

or could be something to do with my IP being dynamic? changing??

Thanks!

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

No, interchange would have nothing to do with this!

If, following what you say, everyone outside the network you have can view your site correctly but anyone within your network cannot, it will most likely be due to an issue with your network.

6. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

This almost certainly sounds like a caching issue now. If people on a different network see the site changes, then the chances are that either:
    1) Your local computer has cached the page.
    2) Your ISP has cached the site.

If your local computer has cached the page, then its easy to sort - simply clear your internet browser's cache, or force a refresh by pressing the <CTRL> key while clicking the refresh button in Internet Explorer.

If it's the ISP thats cached the page, then its not so simple... you will need to change the setting of the Internet Browser so that it utilises a proxy. You can get the settings of some public proxies here: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html

Don't forget to change the proxy settings back when you're done! I found that ISPs in Spain were awful for caching sites, and in the UK, ntl is renowned for using a caching proxy.

Don't fret - if the people on the other network can see your site, then it's there!

7. OS

OS Member

You guys are spot on!! Ok ive tested more things, ive turned off my router and restarted it, i then went to the page and i could see it, after a few mins its gone. I got my sisters computer and its the same thing. I restart router again, and yes i see the page after a few secs its gone. I just see a blank page, a white page.

Ive tracks eraser, ive deleted all the cahche, cookies the whole lot you name it.

I think its my ISP, can somebody tell me in more detail of what i need to do, im with www.ukonline.net and i think it is my ISP, so i think i'll give them a ring tommorow what do i need to tell them? ask them?

Thanks heaps this is very usefull information!

8. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

there isn't much you can do - they use proxies and they won't change that approach overnight.

If you look at section 7.1 oftheir terms and conditions here: http://www.ukonline.net/footerpages/?doc=producttermsinc
    Get a better ISP! :p

9. OS

OS Member

omg..., i sort of understand and sort of dont so do you mean i will never be able to get this sorted?? or do u think i need to speak to them and they will sort it out?