The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem creating hostname account VPS WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jackw07, Oct 15, 2007.

1. jackw07

jackw07 Member

I receive this error when I tried to create my account:
    Account Creation Status: failed (You cannot setup a domain that is the same as the servers hostname )

You cannot setup a domain that is the same as the servers hostname

History: I have 17 other accounts running almost fine that were transferred from an old server. I was tring to fix unlimited quota problem so I updated WHM/Cpanel software and many things broke.

My support fixed a few things but said this: also we found that your domain 'c2cwebdesign.com' is not setup correctly on your server, we suggest you to please re-create the account on your server for 'c2cwebdesign.com' so that you can access mails for c2cwebdesign.com.
    Well in order to recreate the account I had to delete what I had set up. I thought this would be simple, delete my account, set up a new one and start fresh instead of doing a restore as I did initially.
    Now I can't create my account, my domain is down, I can't receive email, I get an error when trying to log into PuTTY (connection refused). I am not sure what to do next?

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

As the error message itself say,

"Account Creation Status: failed (You cannot setup a domain that is the same as the servers hostname )"

your hostname is exactly the same as the domain name you are trying to create. To retrieve the hostname, type the command

[root@root ~]#hostname

at the prompt. To solve this issue, ask your hosting company to change the hostname of your server to 'server.c2cwebdesign.com' and then try adding the domain again. Do not change it from the VPS as the new changes will stay until you reboot. Once you reboot, the hostname will revert back to what it is now.

3. jackw07

jackw07 Member

So is the host name I have set up in WHM: Server Configuration/ Basic CPanel/WHM Setup fast.c2cwebdesign.com not sufficient I have to call and get my hosting company to set the servers current hostname to something different in order for me to set up my own account?
    This is not something I can do myself?

4. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

That is correct with most VPS's

5. jackw07

jackw07 Member

Thank you. My hosting company created the account for me.

I had everthing running, then I ran the WHM cPanel - upgrade to latest version and now my email is not working. It is rejecting my username and password eventhough they were running before. I have deleted the email accounts and set them up band new and it is still rejecting them. Any ideas?