The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem during site by site IP migration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ed.kalk, Oct 27, 2008.

1. ed.kalk

ed.kalk Well-Known Member

:confused:

I am in the process of migrating each site one at a time on my cpanel server to a new IP. I did the first one and now the new IP is no longer an option when I tried the next one. I do not want to do them all at the same time because the cpanel server is not web server for 98% of the domains and when you change the IP of a domain in cpanel it automatically changes the A record to the new ip as well (and anything that is using the IP to be changed). It's easy enough to go in real quick and switch the A record back to the web server where the site is located (a server outside of cpanel), but I couldn't imangine doing it for all domains in a hurry and being successful without some down time. What is the way to do this? Is there some way to change the "site IP" only, perhaps manually from commandline or something? It seems that there is this "Site IP" setting for each domain that is the IP of the cpanel server reguardless of the actual IP of the domains A record...

Is there a better way to migrate the sites one at a time?

help please

#1 ed.kalk, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. chuza

chuza Well-Known Member

Make the new IP the main shared IP from "WHM >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel/WHM Setup" and then try moving another domain onto this IP. If you do not make an IP the main shared IP, it will be considered the dedicated IP for the first domain you move on this IP. Hope, I'm not wrong. :)

3. ed.kalk

ed.kalk Well-Known Member

resolved

:) Yep, that was it! thanks.