Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Problem installing new Kernel on cpanel server: VFS: Cannot Open Root Device "Label=

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SloanPeterson, Apr 16, 2005.

1. SloanPeterson

SloanPeterson Member

I was running Kernel:
    2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp

Then I tried to install Kernel 2.6.11

But it will not boot, it says:
    VFS: Cannot Open Root Device "Label=/" or unknown-block(0,0) Please append a correct "root=/" boot option
    Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I tried using /dev/sda1 instead of Label=/, and I have the ext3 file system built in(not as a module), I also tried increasing the ramdisk size.

How do I get it to boot? Did anyone else get those errors?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Depends which disk you have / partition on. I'm not that well versed at booting Linux interactively, but just as an idea, have you tried /dev/sda3 which is quite common? Also, what types of disk do you have, are they SCSI or SATA drives, or are they IDE and so should be using /dev/hda1, etc? There's also the outside possibility that you have a corrupt root partition which would be unfortunate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...