The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem parking a domain. Can you help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter Dow, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Peter Dow

Peter Dow Member

I am trying to park a domain using cPanel but it won't do it. I get this error message.
    Domain name cPanel won't park - scot.tk

Name servers I have scot.tk pointing to - dns1.mywebserver.co.za & dns2.mywebserver.co.za

A couple of days earlier I used the same cPanel to park another domain "scot.cz.cc" and that went smoothly and is working no problem. Unfortunately, I rarely use that domain name. The one I need to work "scot.tk" is the one which won't work. Why and how do I (the user) or the server manager fix it?

#1 Peter Dow, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The following could be set in WHM > Tweak Settings by changing to "On" and it should then allow the domain to be parked:

If the server administrator is unable to do this, then simply have them add the IPs indicated to /etc/ips.remotedns as suggested.

3. Peter Dow

Peter Dow Member

Thank you for your speedy response.

I wonder if you could address yourself to the point that earlier in the week I used the same cPanel on the same server to park a different domain to the same name servers.

In other words this worked

add parked domain scot.cz.cc which is pointing to dns1.mywebserver.co.za & dns2.mywebserver.co.za :cool:

but this doesn't work

add parked domain scot.tk which is pointing to dns1.mywebserver.co.za & dns2.mywebserver.co.za :mad:

The only difference is the domain name, the name servers are the same and they are the name servers used for the host that the cPanel is administering.

The whole notion of "creation of parked/addon domains that resolve to other servers" is inappropriate is it not, because "other servers" are not involved.

What is "other" about the server? Nothing. There is no "other" server. It is the same server. It is the same name servers. The only difference is the domain name.

Also if it helps, please ponder this, very disturbing clue I found doing a search for other people who have had this same problem.

Now what could it be about ".TK" domains that is a problem for cPanel?

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, it could be that's the issue, but I am unable to postulate further without access to the system itself.

Of note, fixing the issue is normally the priority, and that's what I considered to be the focus and important points to provide. Why it isn't working is normally the consideration after the issue has been resolved.

5. Peter Dow

Peter Dow Member

What could be the issue? Do you suspect that cPanel has a line of code along the lines of "if domain = .tk then don't bother" ? :rolleyes:

Or is it that cPanel does not whitelist .tk domains even if .tk is not blacklisted?

Getting it to work is my priority too. However, I am sceptical that your suggested remedy is appropriate since there is no "other server" involved, is there? It is the same server, the same name servers.

If I pass your suggestion on to my server administrator, I would expect him to be sceptical too and I could provide him with no rationale for trying this beyond "a cPanel staffer on the cPanel community forum suggested it, without explaining why". Though I will refer him to this topic.

One further idea I have is this - dot.tk, who manage the .tk domains say that it takes 30 minutes for the domain change to take effect. I did wait 30 minutes and more before first attempting to add the parked domain "scot.tk", but I am sure that at the first attempt of parking "scot.tk", the change of registration details of "scot.tk" to the new name servers had not propagated and therefore maybe the error message was appropriate in the first instance?

The change of the scot.tk domain's name servers has now propagated, at least as far as me in Scotland, since "scot.tk" gives me "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage".

However, it occurs to me that cPanel may be relying on a local cache, in South Africa, on its own server perhaps, perhaps even in my user directory as part of the cPanel installation, to remind it that that "scot.tk" is pointing other than to its own name servers, as it was when first I attempted to add "scot.tk".

In other words, one way or another, the failure could be in the cPanel code being unable or unwilling to re-examine the web globally to see if the "scot.tk" domain name now points to its own name servers?

It seems to me what is wanted is an ability to tell cPanel - "yes that domain does point to your own name servers, your own server, so go check again you lazy S.O.A.B." :mad:

Is this a problem with the latest version of cPanel because I have previously parked my "scot.tk" domain successfully? That was some 6 months ago.

I am using cPanel Pro 1.0 (RC1) "Accelerated".

However, it is not "accelerated" to use local caches to speed up the return of a wrong answer. Quickly wrong is not correct. A fast wrong does not make a right.

#5 Peter Dow, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you want us to troubleshoot the issue, then please submit a ticket and we can then see why it is happening. Again, I cannot postulate anything without access to the system.

The issue will be resolved by the steps I've noted. The Tweak Setting can be changed back after the domain does properly park. It takes approximately 30 seconds to change the settings to see if it allows the domain to park. Setting changes are easily reverted, so it does not cause any issue to have a setting changed temporarily. Of note, if you research the error message you've noted, the setting I've noted (the first one) is typically what causes that error. Changing it to "On" will allow this to be parked. It's up to you if you do not wish to do it or the server administrator doesn't wish to do it.

Now, it might be a bug, but we do not have access to registered .tk domains to test this out nor developer coding access for binaries to determine if the code is an issue without access to the system. If you wish to instead open a ticket for us to see why it isn't parking rather than simply getting it to park, which we cannot do via the forum, we would be happy to see what is happening then.

7. Peter Dow

Peter Dow Member

Domain parked successfully!

Solved but I don't yet know how or why.

On the umpteenth time of trying to park the same domain, cPanel's error message suddenly changed to

"Error from park wrapper: scot.tk is already configured."

And yes, now the domain is working fine.

So thanks, er, I think, since I don't yet know what made the difference. I have not heard back from my server administrator so I just don't know, but emergency over.

8. Peter Dow

Peter Dow Member

Update. My server administrator reports that he parked the domain for me using the WHM manager.