The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem receiving emails from a Pocket PC

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MediaServe, Aug 11, 2006.

1. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I have a really weird problem that I'm having trouble figuring out.

I have an I-Mate K-Jam pocket pc phone, as well as a Nokia e61 phone. Each has a qwerty keyboard and are great for emailing.

So, I've noticed that I can send an email to an address on a site hosted on one of our cpanel servers, and if it is sent from the Pocket PC, it never shows up in the inbox, but if it's sent from the Nokia, it does.

The really weird thing is, the mail log shows the email coming in and being delivered, but it's just not there in the inbox.

Here's a log entry for one of the emails sent from the pocket pc, with email addresses masked:

2006-08-11 00:32:24 1GBPdA-000278-6r <= cqsupport@XXXX H=(exfe01.ad2.softcom.biz) [168.144.250.237]:53108 I=[70.84.133.67]:25 P=esmtp S=1074 id=93b601c6bd07$8558204a$060e050a@ad2.softcom.biz T="Last try" from <cqsupport@XXXX> for troy@XXXX

2006-08-11 00:32:24 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1GBPdA-000278-6r

2006-08-11 00:32:26 1GBPdA-000278-6r => troy <troy@churchquest.com> F=<cqsupport@XXXX> P=<cqsupport@XXXX> R=virtual_sa_user T=virtual_sa_userdelivery S=3251 QT=2s DT=2s

2006-08-11 00:32:26 1GBPdA-000278-6r Completed QT=2s

It looks perfectly normal, but the email never showed up in the inbox. The same email sent from the e61 shows up just fine.

Anyone have any ideas? If any of you have a pocket pc phone, particularly an I-Mate K-Jam or T-Mobile MDA (same hardware), and could send an email to an email address on a cpanel site to see if they can duplicate the problem, that would be great!

2. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

I just came to post exactly the same question, but regarding a Treo user who is using my server for authenticated (and legitimate) SMTP. I'm running MailScanner, so I searched MailScanner for the queue ID of the message found in the logs, and found that the msg(s) had been dropped by SpamAssassin because the IP address of the sending phone (or more likely that phone's entire network) was listed in the SpamCop RBL system.

Trying to delist the IP would be futile, so the only solution is to whitelist an IP range for the user's T-Mobile ISP. In the MailScanner config, it references a whitelisting system:

/usr/mailscanner/etc/rules/spam.whitelist.rules

So I added the first three triplets of the sender's IP and restarted MailScanner. Will see what happens.

3. shacker23

shacker23 Well-Known Member

Well, I added this :

to:

/usr/mailscanner/etc/rules/spam.whitelist.rules

and the next test message from the user was again dropped. Any ideas why that whitelist rules file might not be respected by MailScanner as documented?

Also, any idea how I might send a test message AS IF it were going out through T-Mobile's mobile network if I don't myself own a phone on their network? I hate to keep asking the guy to reconfigure his phone's mail settings, send a test message, have it fail...

Thanks for any pointers.

Scot

#3 shacker23, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007