The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem restoring backup when account is a subdomain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by veronicabend, Jun 21, 2012.

1. veronicabend

veronicabend Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have an account where the main domain is a subdomain. We don't host the main domain, just this subdomain.

This account uses a dedicated IP address.

When restoring backup of this account on a new server, something gets messed up about the IP address. I restore the backup using Backup >> Restore Backups in WHM, and I check the box to recreate the account, since this server is empty (we had a hard drive failure). I tried both assigning it an IP at this point, or changing site IP address afterwards.

The backup is restored, but the site cannot be accessed in browser. All we get is a cpanel cgi default page.

In List Accounts, the account is listed and it reads MISSING under IP. If I go to Change Site IP address, things show ok. It lists the site subdomain.example.com, and when I click on it, it shows the right IP I have assigned to it.

What do I need to do in order to have the backup restore correctly? I solved this by copying files to another folder, dumping db to an sql file, then terminating the account, created it manually, created db, copied files. Then it worked. But I would prefer to recover from backup, since I have 3 different accounts in this same situation.

Thanks for your help.

2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Try the following steps,

1. Restore the account

2. From list account feature notice the IP assigned to the domain ( or using "Show IP USage" feature from WHM ).

3. From your end, run command "ping sub.yourdomain.com" from command prompt the notice the IP it is resolving to.

4. Make sure both the IPs you get from step2 and step3 are same; else make it same either editing DNS record or adjusting the IP usage from WHM

5. If both the IPs are same, try "sub.yourdomain.com" fro your browser. If it shows cPnel default page, clear your browser cache or use a new browser and try again.

6. Also try using an online proxy like Anonymouse.org and try to load the sub-domain.

Thank you.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If this happens again, could you try using WHM > Change Site's IP Address to change the account to another IP (if you don't have a secondary IP, just add a dummy IP in WHM > IP Functions > Add a New IP Address area to use). After you change the account to that second IP, then change it back. It should then work.

As for why it didn't restore properly, we'd have to see the backup file and test it on a machine of ours to see the results. You are welcome to open up a ticket for this purpose and provide the location of the backup file, authorizing us to take that copy and test it out. Tickets can be submitted in WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature.

Thanks!