The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem restoring Database

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by snadboy, May 9, 2005.

1. snadboy

snadboy Registered

I recently had a server crash and i have lost all data. The only backup file i have is Full Backup file ( .tar.gz ) of file size 1 GB.

I tried uploading the .sql ( Size 1.5 GB ) file i found while unzipping the .tar.gz file from the option " Restore a MySQL Database " , but after a few hours i get the message " The page cannot be displayed ". ( 5 Failed attempts )

I also tried uploading the .tar.gz file ( Through Cpanel Backup Option ) and have got the same error. ( 3 Failed attempts )

How can i restore my database successfully.

Is there any way to pause the upload of the file temporarly
    ( I have a low speed internet connection ( 128k ) and frequent power failures ).

If there is no way to pause uploading to resume uploading later can i use FTP software to upload the file .sql which i found while unzipping the full backup file, to which directory should I upload the .sql file or the .tar.gz file via ftp to restore my database.

Please let me know all the possible options.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure how big the DB is, but you'd do better to restore it via SSH.

Because you have a slow connect though, you might be best to burn the original backup to a couple CDs and mail it to your datacenter. They can drop it on the server and you can then mv it to your cpbackups and restore the entire account from WHM with a few clicks.

3. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    after uploading the file to the server; can u try a manual untar ? If that is failing, it means that the tar u have is corrupt.