The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem seeing new Wordpress installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MonkeyGirl8, Jan 29, 2011.

1. MonkeyGirl8

MonkeyGirl8 Member

Hi.

I'm completely new to all this behind-the-scenes stuff. A friend has been sorting all this out to date.

I have two domains linked through my cpanel account. I've had one domain on a placeholder page for the past couple of years (!!). I just installed Wordpress to this domain and have been able to log into the application fine through the login link provided by cpanel at the end of the installation. While everything on Wordpress seems to be working fine, I can only see the placeholder stuff at the address I've allocated everything to. Should this stuff have been deleted first? Is that the problem? Or do I still need to do something else?

Hoping someone can help!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hmm, lets assume your placeholder page was index.html. Your wordpress installation would be using index.php.

In other words, domain.com/index.html or domain.com/index.php could both still be working, if I understand you correctly. If yes, the easy answer is to rename that index.html to index.old.html and then try domain.com and see if it brings up your wordpress.

The server will use index.php or index.php so we remove one or the other.

3. MonkeyGirl8

MonkeyGirl8 Member

Thanks for replying.

OK, this stuff is kind of like trying to understand German for me, but I think I might know what I've done wrong now. When cpanel asked me for a path, I left it blank because it said that it was going to create a web location from that. To me, this meant that if I left it with the default path (wordpress) that visitors would only see my page if they went to www.domain.com/wordpress and not www.domain.com. So, if I understand you correctly, I should have specified a path? Can I change this now, even though the application's been installed to this location?

And, to rename the placeholder page, where do I find this in cpanel?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you left it blank I believe it would have installed at domain.com since the installation is fresh, it might be easiest to simply remove it the same way you installed it and give it another go, this time specifying the path.

To check for that index.html file I mentioned that may be present on your server, you could use the cPanel File Manager. You'll find the icon for this in your cPanel UI. When it opens, use the tree on left to navigate to the public_html directory. To rename the file click it once and then right click and choose rename, or use the icons across top of File Manager > rename.

5. MonkeyGirl8

MonkeyGirl8 Member

All working now. Thanks!

I didn't need to do the uninstall/reinstall after changing the name of the placeholder, so it was pretty easy! Thank you!:)