The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem sending email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lfung, Nov 18, 2004.

1. lfung

lfung Registered

I need to host only the web site of an specific domain, the mail server and the nameservers of that domains are hosted by another external server. They change the A record of the nameserver to our ip.

The problems is that when I try to send an email to that domain the server keep all the email and not delivers to the real MTA. I foung that the WHM creates an entry in the bind config of the new domain, so I removed, but now when I try to send an email from any domain hosted with us to that domain an error can't route email arrise.

Any idea ???

TIA

LFung

2. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You need to edit the DNS zone on your server to match the "real" (remote server) DNS zone. So the MX record should be there, but it should point to the correct IP address of the real mail server.

3. lfung

lfung Registered

But the dns server of the domain is not in my server.
    I should have a dns entry in my server for that domain ?

LFung

4. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes, because by default your server uses its OWN DNS zone files first before looking outside for a domain, therefore if you have a domain set up on your server, your server will deliver internal traffic to that version of the site.

You need to modify the DNS zone so that internal traffic goes where it is supposed to go.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Remove the domain in question from /etc/localdomains.
    Then the server will stop considering it to be local and will lookup DNS to get the correct location of the domain's mail system ;)
    [Edit]
    And no, you do not need a DNS record for the domain on the local server (or in your normal DNS). Having DNS handeld elsewhere is perfectly ok.

#5 JC, Nov 18, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

And if you do that you must then put the entry that you have removed into /etc/remotedomains (and create that file if it doesn't exist) otherwise it'll just be put back into /etc/localdomains ;)

7. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    And don't forget that no matter what method you choose, you'll need to have subdomain A records (and other such records) manually added to the server that manages the DNS zone for the domain (if there are any changes made).

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah Jonathan,

That one is new. I never realized that it would be put back into etc/localdomains.
    When does this happen? During upcp?
    Anyway, thanks for pointing that etc/remotedomains out to us. I'm gonna try it

Regards

#8 JC, Nov 18, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Hi,

It's been there for at least a year ;)

/etc/localdomains is rebuilt if you ever run /scripts/mailperm or WHM > Rebuild/Fix Mail Dbs/Boxes, and I believe whenever Exim is updated. The rebuild process checks in /etc/remotedomains and skips placing them into localdomains if they're listed in there, otherwise They're Back! :)