The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem setting hostname to test.1234.com (numeric second-level)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by |2edFive, Jun 22, 2010.

1. |2edFive

|2edFive Registered

Hello, world! I'm still fairly new to cPanel and completely new to WHM... and loving it. :D I've been able to figure out a lot, but I could use some help with this one.

My main domain is let's say 1234.com, second level of the domain is completely numerical. Server name test.1234.com. I can set this w/ no problem under Server Configuration > Basic cPanel/WHM Setup, but under Networking Setup > Change Hostname, I get:

I tested w/ some other domains, and it rejects any that contain an all-numeric second-level. Something like test.1234a.com works just fine.

I asked my host about it, and they replied:

This seems to work great. The only problem was the license going bad, so I ran /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt, fixed.

Does anyone have anything to add to my host's advice, or does that sound like the complete solution to manually hack it in?

And, is the rejection by WHM possibly a bug? When it first happened, I was like :eek:? It's been my main domain since 2002 or so...

Thanks for your time!

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Your host pretty much has it right. If you feel this needs to be changed, you should submit a bug report to cPanel.

3. |2edFive

|2edFive Registered

Thanks very much, Vanessa.

I reported it, and was quickly helped by Josh, who confirmed it and passed it along to the developers. Awesome.

Oh, and nice site BTW. ;)