The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem "status: hang"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by p123, May 4, 2012.

1. p123

p123 Member

Dear cPanel/WHM community,

since last night I am experiencing trouble on my VPS with WHM/Cpanel product and I don't know what could be wrong since nothing was changed in the configuration recently.

I am getting dozens of mails with the error:

Subject: tailwatchd - chkservd on server.mydomain.com status: hang

The chkservd sub-process with pid 18601 was running for 602 seconds. The sub-process was terminated as it exceeded the time between checks of 300 seconds. Please check /var/log/chkservd.log and /usr/local/cpanel/logs/tailwatchd_log to discover the cause.

The whole thing results in MySQL not working - once I log into WHM and restart the MySQL service it works fine although it keeps happening over and over again in the last 24 hours.

Some advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
    Peter

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Emails that state "The chkservd sub-process with pid x was running for y seconds" typically indicate a resource issue (e.g. high CPU or memory usage). Check the resource usage on your server when you receive this email to see if any processes are using large amounts of CPU or Memory. The "sar" command is useful for this. EX:

Code:
    # sar -u
    Look for high "iowait" values as this can be an indication of high disk I/O.

Thank you.