The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with aborted journals / Read-only filesystem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aag73, Jan 23, 2009.

1. aag73

aag73 Member

We have 8 RHEL 5 / Cpanel servers with ThePlanet. In the past 12-15 months, we have had 7 occurrences of aborted journals that cause the /home partition to go read-only. This of course basically renders the server useless, we have to request a manual FSCK and usually have around 1-2 hours of downtime.

The first couple of times it happenned I though they were random occurences of data corruption. They usually happen after the deletion of a "non-existent" file.

linux kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device sda8): ext3_unlink: Deleting nonexistent file (2097887), 0

After that, the journal aborts

linux kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda8): ext3_lookup: unlinked inode 2097370 in dir #2097369
    linux kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda8): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal

The partition goes to read-only

Finding the corrupted files will always lead you to a cur folder on a mail folder of a customer's account. The filenames all appear red. It puzzles me is always a mailbox file that causes this.

Anyone else has seen this? Any possible cause or way to avoid it or fix it?

Warm Regards and many thanks.

2. aag73

aag73 Member

Does anyone thinks this may solve the issue?

http://forums.cpanel.net/showpost.php?p=340518

You can try to boot with acpi=off

Add this to the end of end bootloader command

acpi=off noacpi

I have the same issue. I've changed 5 new harddisk and new server board, and ram in one month time.