SOLVED Problem with Backup Restoration from AWS

LordLiverpool

Dec 27, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Problem:

My VPS gets backed up to an AWS S3 bucket.
I need to restore a particular website from the last good backup (today's backup by chance).
However, WHM > Backup Restoration says:
"The system cannot restore backups because it does not store those backups locally."

Research:

After a good few Google searches I uncovered these links:

In Progress - [CPANEL-24264] Backup Restoration requires local backup rentention

Remote Restoration - Version 78 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Actions Taken:
  1. Downloaded the appropriate tar.gz from AWS S3.
  2. Checked the BACKUPDIR variable within the /var/cpanel/backups/config file
  3. Config file says my backup directory is BACKUPDIR: /backup
  4. Created a new folder under /backup i.e. /backup/2019-05-15
  5. Uploaded today's backup i.e. the 2019-05-15.tar.gz to my server to the new folder.
  6. Refreshed the WHM > Backup Restoration page and nothing changes.
  7. Altered my Backup Configuration to "Retain Backups in the Default Backup Directory".
  8. Refresh the WHM > Backup Restoration page
  9. The yellow warning sign has gone.
  10. And now I can restore really old backups from a few years ago, must be from before I swapped over to AWS S3. But I can't see the backup that I just uploaded today.
  11. Today's date seems to have changed to bold, but I can't select it (See Thumbnail)
Backup_Restoration.JPG

Question:

How do I restore my backup?
Is there a workaround?
Or am I up a certain creek without a paddle?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Just stick the gz file in /home and use the restore full backup/remove file in whm. Then choose the user name and restore it.

Reactions: LordLiverpool

LordLiverpool

Dec 27, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@GOT

Thanks for replying.
  1. I moved the tar.gz to /home
  2. Went into Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file
I don't know which options to choose for the best. (See Thumbnail)

Restore.JPG

Thanks very much for your help.

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Is the account terminated? If the account exists then you need to check that box about overwriting the existing user. If the account is terminated than as it sits is fine.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @LordLiverpool,

I'm glad to see the suggested method worked. Here's a copy of my recent response to the thread you linked in your first post:

Hello,

As of cPanel & WHM version 80, it's possible to restore a cPanel account backup directly from a remote destination with the FTP transport type. Here's the quote from the Version 80 Release Notes:

In cPanel & WHM version 80, we added the ability to restore a cPanel account backup from a remote destination via FTP transport. You can restore these backups through WHM's Backup Restoration interface (WHM >> Home >> Backups >> Backup Restoration).
For the other backup destination types, you must manually transfer the backup files from the remote location to your server if you have disabled the Retain Backups in the Default Backup Directory setting. Once you do this, you can restore a remote backup through the Restore a Full Backup cpmove File interface. This is documented at:

Remote Restoration - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation
Thank you.