The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silius, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Silius

Silius Registered

Hello,

I'm a reseller in the process of switching webhosting providers. I, of course, don't have root access to either server, but my new host has offered to transfer all my accounts for me from my old host using cPanel-to-cPanel transfer per account, after I provided account names and passwords. Unfortunately, we have been experiencing problems with transferring the accounts.

My new webhost is running cPanel 9.9.9-S15. My old webhost is running cPanel 10.0.0-C48.

My new webhost has had major problems transferring the accounts from my old server. Reportedly, the backups provided by the old server during the transfer seem to be getting modified or corrupted by the original (cPanel 10.0.0-C48) server in the process. Consequently, the transfers have not been successful.

Since that wasn't working, I attempted to transfer a couple of the accounts manually. I went into the cPanel of an account on the old server and downloaded a home backup of the site. But the backup that I received in the download was empty. I tried to download the home backup of another account, and that backup was also empty, despite the exceptionally large size of the .tar.gz file that I d/l-ed (2.26 mb).

I've reported the problem to my old webhost, who pretty much told me that transfers/backups should work and that there are no problems with the server of which he is aware (not much help). I'm beginning to wonder if there is a bug in cPanel 10.0.0-C48. I haven't been able to find anything about it, but the problem is boggling (and frustrating, especially with such little help from the old webhost). I want to get these accounts transferred, but the backups just don't want to cooperate.

2. vincentg

vincentg Well-Known Member

Run a generate full backup.

The gererate full backup will create a new backup file.

This will still be a problem since you have no way to restore it.
    Seems Cpanel over looked this some how.

You will have to either download and give this file to to your new host or
    FTP the backup to your new server and ask your new host to restore it.

Vin