The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with changing IPs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrissHere, Dec 27, 2011.

1. ChrissHere

ChrissHere Member

Hello,
    A few days ago I have changed the two main IPs, every webspace is reachable with its domainv already but somehow the webserver itself can not resolv URLs. For example I can not update the cPanel software since it can not resolv the URLs. Files like /etc/resolv.conf are set right and both IPs point to the serverunit.
    Both nameserver work the way they should since every webspace is working. But as soon as the serverunit itself has to resolv an URL it is not able to.
    Can you tell me where else do I have to take a look if the IP is set right? I have made already many changes but somehow I think I forgot something.
    Regards,
    Chris

2. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That the websites are working in your server has nothing to do with /etc/resolv.conf
    Your server needs /etc/resolv.conf configured correctly to be able to connect to internet.
    I suggest you try these (Google public nameservers):
    Code:
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    nameserver 8.8.4.4

3. hoststop

hoststop Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there.. Yes, it looks like the resolvers are not able to resolve the domain to any IP address. You can use the name servers as suggested by quietFinn. These name servers are that of google's. You can also the opendns's Name servers to check.

Also, contact your hosting provider/data center to check as to why resolvers are not able to resolve the domain names to any IP address.

4. ChrissHere

ChrissHere Member

Somehow this doesn't help. I changed them to the google one's but I still doesn't work.
    I have tried "dig google.com" for example but it reached the time limit, "no server could be reached".
    Any other ideas? :(

5. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Check that port 53, tcp and udp, is open for outbound connections.