unfjmatt

Registered
Oct 15, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This is probably a simple question, but I am baffled.

I and the administrator of a VPS. When I try to log into my cPanel for my user account, it is giving me root access. The cPanel password is different from the root password. I tried this on multiple browsers and multiple computers.

What have I done wrong?

unfjmatt

Registered
Oct 15, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I understand that.

I log in as my cPanel user for the account, and it looks and acts just as if I went through WHM and clicked the cPanel icon next to the account under "List Users." It even tells me that I am logged in with the root password.

Slot

Registered
Oct 16, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Of course the root password is different from the user password. Try to see in the cPanel the menu Root settings and change the password there.

server9host

Sep 18, 2013
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello unfjmatt,

Root user is main user of your server, root user have full permission and privilege to access the each file and directory from server.

As per you said from WHM >> list Account you click on cpanel account then you get access of the cpanel account with root access because root have that privilege.

But you can't use root credential to access cpanel account. Using root user you directly get WHM access from WHM you can access other cPanel accounts.

Thanks

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I log in as my cPanel user for the account, and it looks and acts just as if I went through WHM and clicked the cPanel icon next to the account under "List Users." It even tells me that I am logged in with the root password.
Hello :)

Is it a reseller account with full privileges? Have you tried changing the password for the account to see if that makes a difference?

Thank you.