The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with email recieve in outlook when email on server becomes too high.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by srpurdy, Aug 15, 2014.

1. srpurdy

srpurdy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have an odd issue. One of my clients emails sometimes gets up to 1000,2000 emails. He often doesn't check his email for days. or even weeks. I can't really do much about that. But it seems if the total amount of emails becomes too high that he just cannot download them. (outlook) (He is using pop3) If he goes onto the webmail and deletes a bunch of them, his email will begin to work again. Is there a setting that is limiting how many emails he can download at once or some connection limitation that would cause this? I'm thinking it's a server configuration issue, but all the settings I've tried in mail configuration haven't made any difference.

Thanks for any help. :)

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The mail client controls the downloading. I'm not sure about Outlook, but I know Exchange does this. Have him try using IMAP instead.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could review /var/log/maillog at the time the user downloads the emails to see if there are any error messages from the mail server, however you may want to simply suggest a different email client to the user (e.g. Thunderbird).

Thank you.