The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ljwhite, May 21, 2006.

1. ljwhite

ljwhite Well-Known Member

One email took 6 hours to make it to me. I had another email do the same thing today too. I guess the reason would be: we sent out 30,000 newsletter using Phplist recently. And this large amount of emails overload our server. I do not know if my guess is right. Is there a way that i can find out what is the real reason? Many thanks in advance!

2. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    if using phplist, you can set how many emails to send, how often. You can also set how many emails any user can send per hour.
    Something which helped us was to create an email user and made phplist use that user, with SMTP authentication, and set a email limit. We then set the amount of emails phplist can send (in phplist configuration) to send 10 less than the hourly max, that way it won't overload the server, and other emails still get send rather quick

3. ljwhite

Thanks for your help.
    1. send 10 less than the hourly max?
    Do you mean i should configure and send 10 emails hourly? If so, i have 10,000 emails to send. I should wait for a long long time. And for hourly max, can i know it from phplist?
    2.And other emails still get send rather quick.
    What do you mean "other emails" ?

4. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Let's say in WHM you set the limit per hour to 1,000 (this depends on what resources your server has, and what it can handle, 1,000 / 2,000 / 10,000 - play around with a it a bit to get an idea), then set the limit in phplist to 9990 - that way it wont' quite max out the limit. I do this simply not to kill the server when I send a lot of emails. And if you need to send that many emails & you're on a shared hosting account, rather look for an account with more resouces, maybe a reseller / VPN account?

In our case we can't use more resources than what we allow our own customers to use, it's not fair, and I don't want angry customers :)

"other emails" - those on other accounts, not the one setup for the mail delivery

#4 SoftDux, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  5. ljwhite

Thanks for your explanation.
    How to set/check the limit per hour in WHM?

6. GnomeyNewt

GnomeyNewt Active Member

Go to "Tweak Settings >> Mail >> The maximum each domain can send out per hour (0 is unlimited)". This is where you can set your limit.

7. ljwhite

I got it, thanks!