The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with fresh install of cPanel 11 on RHEL 5: bug in "latest" install script?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skaboobie, Jun 19, 2007.

1. skaboobie

skaboobie Member

I'm attempting a fresh install of cPanel 11 on RHEL 5. (We use Red Hat here, please do not tell me to use CentOS, Fedora, or another OS.)

I did a basic install of the OS, sans Apache, MySQL and such. I followed the directions on the Installation Guide. However, when I finally get to running the "latest" script, I get the following:

Code:
    [root@iweb home]# sh latest
    Creating directory installd
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing cplyr1-cPanel..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
            ____                  _
        ___|  _ \ __ _ _ __   ___| |
       / __| |_) / _` | '_ \ / _ \ |
      | (__|  __/ (_| | | | |  __/ |
       \___|_|   \__,_|_| |_|\___|_|

Installer Version 11.4.0

Your operating system's rpm update method (up2date) was not able to locate the glibc package. This is an indication of an improper setup. You must correct this error before you can proceed.

One of the changes from RHEL 3 and 4 to 5 is that 5 now uses yum on the command line rather than the old up2date program. In fact, I successfully updated my OS with "yum update".

Is there something I can do to fix this? Is this a bug that the cPanel folks need to fix for installs on RHEL 5?

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The installer is not yet updated with the correct functionality for RHEL 5's update system. It attempts to use up2date, when it should use yum. Do this:

Code:
    touch /var/cpanel/useyum

then perform the installation.

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  4. aisagtr

aisagtr Guest

We are trying to install on RHEL AS4 and tried your recommendation, its still returning the same error:

Beginning main installation.
    Your operating system's rpm update method (yum) was not able to locate the glibc package. This is an indication of an improper setup. You must correct this error before you can proceed.

Advice?

5. skaboobie

skaboobie Member

I do not think this fix will work for you, because you are using RHEL AS4, which uses up2date, not yum.