The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Front Page Extensions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by antodeepak, Oct 24, 2005.

1. antodeepak

antodeepak Active Member

Hello Techs,

Thanks for your response with my posts.

I am here now with a new query regarding the front page issue and with the search i have perfomed with the same in the cpanel forum, i found that there is no proper fix for the issue and found that it is a cpanel bug.

but anyhow there will be a fix. Please help me..I am a System Administrator for a Web Hosting Company and we are so weired with this situation.

The error occured when i tried to install the front page extensions for a domain. We are using the WHM?CPanel version WHM 10.6.0 cPanel 10.8.0-S59 with RedHat Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0 .

I got one error when i tried to install one and another with removing the extension.

Starting install, port: 80.

Error: Cannot create folder "_vti_pvt".
    Setting Password
    Frontpage passthough auth enabled!

the above one is one which i got when I tried to install and the following one is the one which i got when i tried to uninstall the FP ext.

Starting uninstall, port: 80.

Error: There is no web named "".
    The version (unknown) of the server extensions you are trying to uninstall cannot be uninstalled with this tool. You must upgrade this virtual server to the current version, and then use owsadm.exe to uninstall.

Removing .htaccess files....Done
    Removing old frontpage files...Done

Hope our experienced webmaster will help me in this situation.

Thanks & Regards,
    Anto Deepak. :p

2. antodeepak

antodeepak Active Member

Fixed

Hello Gurus,

This is very sad, no one didn't reply for my posting.

Anyway I fixed the issue myself, It was a issue with the domain which I tried to install FP.

Bye..Have a nice day..

Thanks & Regards,
    Anto

3. chud67

chud67 Member

Anto, how did you fix it?

4. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

Where there ever any fixes for this problem? This started happening with one of my customers, and it is driving me nuts!

5. RizyDeWino

RizyDeWino Well-Known Member

Any one know a fix for this ?

6. antodeepak

antodeepak Active Member

Hi Buddies

Wish to share the fix which I have performed recently when the issue again got occured. The default permission for httpd.conf with the cpanel server is 600, you can change the permission to 644 and try to re-install the front page. It will work out.

Sorry for not providing the excat reason which I persist the issue first. That was related to a DNS entry with /var/cpanel/users/, I rember.

7. noimad1

I was having the exact same problem, and the permissions of the httpd.conf file and such did not fix my problem.

I opened a cpanel ticket and they worked on it for a few days for me. They seemed to track the problem down to sites that have large number of files.

The site that was giving me a problem had something like 1600 files or so, and we could move the files to a different folder, then the front page extensions would install fine. Move them back and they would fail.

So far there has been no fix for the problem that I know of.

I thought I would just share this in case you have this problem and none of the other options helped you. Check to see how large the site is and that might be your problem....

8. EcoHosting

EcoHosting Member

Frontpage fails with too many files?

Is this right? I seem to be having the same issue with a customer of mine who has over 60,000 files! I've tried to install and reinstall Frontpage many times.

At first my CPU process limiter/killer would kill it off as it took to long to install and used almost 70% CPU. So I disabled it and tried again. It seemed to get a lot further but it still died before completing.

So is there an issue with using Frontpage on accounts that have too many files? Please advise.

Thanks!

9. noimad1

That is what the cpanel people told me. They ended up closing my ticket and saying they did not think they were going to be able to have a fix because microsoft is no longer supporting front page extensions for linux....Since they are moving to that new system...