The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with "home" directory in PHP 5.4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fickany, Jan 29, 2014.

1. fickany

fickany Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Everybody,

Due to the coming PHP version change, several security settings will cease including safe_mode. The PHP version 5.3.28, which is currently used, has this setting, but the 5.4 won’t. With safe-mode it is possible to prevent users to be able to see each other’s „home” directories, but later with the new version, it won’t be possible using this method. Personally, I would use php.ini with each user, but I could not find any recent and working instruction. Do you have any idea regarding this, or is there some instruction or tutorial? (PHP 5 Handler: suPHP)

Thank you!

Regards,
    Gábor

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can simply upload a copy of /usr/local/lib/php.ini to the account's public_html directory and modify it for the individual account. Or, do you mean there is a specific value you want to edit with PHP 5.4?

Thank you.

3. fickany

fickany Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I understand what you wrote and thank you for your answer, but I wouldn’t like the users to be able to change their php.ini files, therefore I would store them separately in another directory. (ie. /home/inis/user1.ini, /home/inis/user2.ini etc.) This would be important specifically because of open_basedir, that is, it would be blocked on a user basis (separately for every user) in their own ini file. (For example /home/user1 -> open_basedir = "/home/user1"). And if any user’s values have to be changed, then I could modify them separately for that user, independently from the others.

4. ThinIce

ThinIce Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. fickany

fickany Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    All right, but how can I manage this at the os level?