The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with large inbox email.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by teknowebworks, Nov 10, 2004.

1. teknowebworks

teknowebworks Active Member

I have the following problem. One of my clients went on vacation and his box filled up passed his email quota, now he has a 750meg inbox file. Every webmail program and smtp reports there is no EMail in his box, even after increasing the quota. Has anyone ever scene anything like this before? any easy work around or way to get at this?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's little you can do about this, unless you want a lot of work. POP3 is not meant for storing email on server and this is why. You can either:

1. Empty out the inbox and they lose the email

2. Check through their email and see if there's a few huge emails that can be deleted using mutt:

mutt -f /home/acount/mail/domain/username/inbox

3. Take a copy of their inbox file, empty out the live one and slowly copy and append chunks of emails from the copy into the live one using your favourite text editor

4. Have the client use a utility like Mail Magic Monitor where they cann connect to their POP3 account and delete unwanted email so that their mailbox is reduced to a managable size where they can download what is left:
    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sounds like spam. Did you check his cPanel to see what the default address is set to? Add :fail: no such address here to stop it from coming in and dump it.
    I had a guy with mail problems, told him to look via horde and he said it was empty. I looked myself and found it to be loaded.

Attached Files: