The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with ModSecurity and Maldetect

Discussion in 'Security' started by GenialRO, Mar 21, 2016.

1. GenialRO

GenialRO Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Recently i have installed Maldetect on my server and now i have problem when try to upload file from php script.

In ModSecurity Tools i recive:
    Request:
    Action Description:
    Access denied with code 406 (phase 2).
    Justification:
    File "/tmp//20560321-15343-Vu-3v1Z6wzuB0pgAAAAT-file-u49s7m" rejected by the approver script "/usr/local/maldetect/modsec.sh": Linux Malware Detect v1.

What is the problem??

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you review /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log to determine the specific error message that's output when this happens?

Thank you.

3. GenialRO

GenialRO Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

This i found in error_log
    [Mon Mar 21 20:57:05.824179 2016] [:error] [pid 13413] [client 9x.1xx.xx0.141] ModSecurity: Access denied with code 406 (phase 2). File "/tmp//20160321-205705-VvBEAVZ6wzoAADRlrOAAAAAV-file-YqTblb" rejected by the approver script "/usr/local/maldetect/modsec.sh": Linux Malware Detect v1.5 [file "/usr/local/apache/conf/modsec2.user.conf"] [line "3"] [id "99"] [msg "Malware found"] [severity "CRITICAL"] [hostname "xxxxxx"] [uri "/ajax/upload_img"] [unique_id "VfEAVZ62zoAADRlrOAAAV"]

4. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you have this set up, you should know how it works. Maldet scanning hooks into modsec are very.... unpolished. Anyway how it works is the file upload is put into /tmp, scanned by maldet, and then depending if the script returns a 0 or 1 the upload is denied or allowed.

You should have a rule somewhere in modsec2.user.conf or another includes that looks something like this:

SecRule "FILES_TMPNAMES" "@inspectFile /usr/local/maldetect/modsec.sh" "some actions / ID number here"

You could temporarily disable that rule, make modifications to whitelist your IP, or manually scan the file you are trying to upload with maldet to see why it is being detected and rejected.

I strongly recommend using clamdscan or CXS instead of maldet for this purpose. The maldet script is buggy and slow. See my post here: Log Checking

GenialRO likes this.
  5. GenialRO

GenialRO Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

@quizknows, thanks for help. I installed CXS and now all working fine.

quizknows likes this.