The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with PHP mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by salvatore333, Mar 9, 2006.

1. salvatore333

salvatore333 Well-Known Member

I have recently checked off "prevent user nobody from sending out mail" in the WHM tweak settings. Now a customer who uses the fantastico installed PHP auction website says his clients no longer receive his emails. I have enabled suexec but I did not go to Apache update and compile in there yet. Will that fix the problem? If not can you be so kind as to give me a hint on how to resolve this issue for my customer?

Thanks so much

2. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

hi,
    certain PHP based scripts do offer a mod for such problems which lets the site owner send mails using a smtp a/c.

preventing NOBODY user is although very helpful but you get a lot of such complaints from clients using such scripts and may really bug you.

see ya,
    mohit

3. salvatore333

I checked the admin section of the script and there is no such smtp feature. There is no mod from the tech support for the auction script. Can someone else suggest how I may get this to work?

Thank you

4. salvatore333

Can anybody help me with this issue? Thank you

5. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think what you need is phpsuexec not suexec... but if you go that way, you'll want to do some reading first as it will introduce a host of other considerations.

6. salvatore333

I have now compiled phpsuexec and still the email does not function. Thank you

7. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You're going to have to either pay someone to investigate this for you or start investigating yourself and post back the exact errors you encounter along the way.

I'd suggest a strategy as follows:

1. Enable extended logging in Exim
    This, among other things, logs the subject of an email which makes finding a message in the mail logs so so much easier.
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=48648

2. Create a simple PHP script for sending a test message
    PHP:
    <?php

mail
    ('myaddress@example.com''my easy-to-spot test subject''my unimportant test message');

?>
    3. Set the subject value sensibly and execute the script. I'd recommend changing the subject each time before executing so that you can track which test message is which.

4. Wait long enough for something to turn up on the mail logs and then check through /var/log/exim_mainlog for the message sent by the script. Act accordingly on any error messages you find.

It's as easy as that. If you don't understand what an error means, post the full and exact error message here and people may be able to help. But first and foremost you're going to have to put some effort into this.