The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with 'Quotaon'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by myeddie7, Apr 25, 2008.

1. myeddie7

myeddie7 Member

I have a very good server with client-base reaching almost 600 accounts and server load of 0.50 - 2.0, But whenever i created, suspended or terminated an account, the load would increase up 30.00 and within this week itself, it went hang twice already.

The load increased up to 800.00 sometimes, and I had to contact DC to reboot.

I finally found out that I was caused by 'Quotaon'. I have search in this forum and found http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=67327&highlight=quotaon but it's not helpful enough. Does anybody here know the solution for this, because everytime i created/terminated an account, I must be prepared to call the DC if the server hang. FYI, I'm using the latest kernel i.e: 2.6.9-67.0.7.ELsmp

2. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If your /var/ is on its own partition, try to disable quotas for this partition.

3. myeddie7

myeddie7 Member

I have tried and found that it's working, but i'm wondering if disabling quota in /var will affect the server or quota used by the user.

Anyway, thank you. :)

4. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No user data is stored on /var/ ... but mysql dbs that are not included in their current disk quota, anyway. So you can safely disable quotas on this partition :)

5. pjd2003

pjd2003 Member

The big problem with this is if you have a live machine which uses only one partition... Its a big problem as the server just dies and theres no way of switching quotas off on individual folders.

Load can spiral to >100 in some cases, for sometimes 20 minutes or more...all from a simple create/terminate/upgrade command.

Theres a bug report at http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=6451

..but not sure how quickly these things get resolved. Its a massive problem for us.