The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with reading webmail through cpanel

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by TheVoice, Feb 3, 2004.

1. TheVoice

TheVoice Well-Known Member

When checking webmail on any non main account email addresses through cpanel's add/remove emails page it generates a page cannot be displayed error. This error started when the new Internet Explorer 6 security patch was released yesturday. Accessing webmail via http://sitename.com/webmail works as it should.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1.Apply the new IE 6 security patch
    2.Login to cpanel and go to the mail menu then to the add/remove accounts screen.
    3. Click on read webmail for any of the email accounts that is not the main account.
    4. A page cannot be displayed error is displayed.

Do any of you guys have the same problem? It seems to be localized to this IE 6 patch.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 37736

2. spsmcc

spsmcc Active Member

i got htis problem too, i only found out about it becuase some clients started complaining that they couldnt access webmail

3. DN-Paul

DN-Paul Well-Known Member

Simple answer... use a better browser.

It's because of how cpanel passes the login information for the account (as http://username:@domain.tld:2095/username+domain) and the latest IE patch stops you passing loging information in such a way.

info: http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5151957.html?tag=nefd_top

And to answer your question, no I don't have that problem, but then, I don't use IE.

To get around it users can access their webmail via http://domain.tld/webmail/ which will present them with a login prompt, which should work. (username as emailname+domain.tld)

#3 DN-Paul, Feb 3, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  4. TheVoice

Go tell that to the thousand users who can't read their mail now. This is an issue that cpanel needs to fix otherwise they will have a lot more complaints about this issue.

5. osfdeath

osfdeath Well-Known Member

It's not cPanel's fault

They, along with the rest of the online community, will surely find a way around this - but rest assured the fault lies with Mircrosoft - yet again
    Their suggestion: Use the password promted dialog box with "Remember Password" function
    I'm seriously thinking of move to a new browser

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834489&Product=ie600

6. TheVoice

I agree with you that it is not Cpanel's fault but this new security measure that Microsoft has taken will become internet standard. At that point Cpanel will seem as if they are not keeping up with the times. This issue should not be difficult to fix either. A simple url change is all it would take.

7. osfdeath

I'm just hoping there will still be a way to allow my customers to log into their WHM/cpanel and webmail using my own provided login form...without having to attach an @domain.com to their email username for webmail :(

8. DN-Paul

DN-Paul Well-Known Member

No it won't.
    It's simply because MS aren't developing IE anymore, so instead of fixing the problem, they just remove the ability to do the thing that causes a minority of stupid people a problem.

It's the fault of people who don't realise that https://www.paypal.com_______________________:@Im-going-to-steal-your-details.net/you/stupid/fool/ isn't really paypal, click it and their account details get stolen, and now because of them the whole internet is going to suffer because people are going to have to re-write login scripts that currently use .htaccess so people who still use MSIE can login.

9. AffordableHOST

Ugh STUPID MICROSOFT!!!!!!!! We've been dealing with a huge influx of support tickets because of this. What's worse is when you tell customers why its happening, and to please try with a different browser, they act like you just asked them to commit murder.

HELP!!!!

--Tina

10. osfdeath

I quickly updated all my logins to simple links with no login details - only thing we can do atm
    Hopefully someone will find a way to allow a login box with a username and password - and when the user is prompted for a username/password it'll maybe fill in the info for them
    They'd still have to click the OK button but it'd be better than the way things are now :(

I'd suggest for the time being, hosts update their login to simple links....

I'd be a lil upset if someone asked me to switch browsers...even though I really should cuz MS are morons

11. sHORTYWZ

sHORTYWZ Well-Known Member

Tue Feb 3 19:29:18 EST 2004
    8.8.0-EDGE_21
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    don't pass the username in the url anymore with listpops
    as the latest IE patch makes it break

12. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

How does one go about doing this?

13. osfdeath