The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with reinstalling backups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zimm, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Zimm

Zimm Registered

I've purchased a dedicated server with CPANEL/WHM. Before, I had a reseller account with the same CPANEL/WHM setup. Before moving my accounts over I backed them up using CPANEL's Full backup system.

After setting up the server/whm I created the first account with the same domain and usersname and attempted to upload the backup using cPanel and it seemed to work. But, it didn't install the files into the appropriate directories. Instead it created a folder named: backup-10.28.2003_15-39-53_zimm and put the files there. Is this supposed to happen? I assumed it would install the files in the appropriate places as well as the mysql which was the important part. The files I could reupload, its the mysql I was worried about. If this was supposed to happen, is there anyway to backup the mysql from this backup?

I also configured backups through WHM and placed the backup in the /.../cpbackup but when I click on Restore Backups and it says no backups found.

Am I missing a step or something?

2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Dear Zimm,

If you have problem with the Cpanel backup utility,Then try taking backup\'s from shell prompt.

tar -czf /home/username/backup.tar.gz /home/username/public_html

For mysql backups,try
    mysqldump --opt -p{DBpassword} -u {DBusername} -B {database1} {database2} ... {databaseN} > database.mysql
    Another way to back up a database is to use the mysqldump program or the mysqlhotcopy script

shell> mysqldump --tab=/path/to/some/dir --opt --all
    or
    shell> mysqlhotcopy database /path/to/some/dir

You can also simply copy all table files (`*.frm\', `*.MYD\', and `*.MYI\' files) as long as the server isn\'t updating anything. The script mysqlhotcopy does use this method.

Then try to use the restore backup utility to restore your backup\'s.

I hope this might help you to solve your problem.

Regards,

3. Zimm

Zimm Registered

Thanks mickeymouse :D

The other server has already been shut down (and wiped) but I copied the .frm, .myd and .myi files direclty to the MYSQL folder under the correct database and the data was restored.

Thanks again :)