The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with restoring A DB !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark-Archon, May 31, 2003.

1. Dark-Archon

Dark-Archon Registered

Hi

I downloaded a Back-up for a database in my old server and the size was 12 mega . anyway , i tryed to restore the databse from the new server ( Restore in CPANEL ) the database didnt restored completely , there was many data lost !!

do u think that some data lost because of the connection so that i need a reall fast connection ?

what should i do ?

and if there is another way by uploading the file (.gz) to the server then by Telnet , plz tell me

note : the database contains data for IB forum

Thx

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Dreamgun

Dreamgun Member

I have the same problem, I run a forum, and its a 15 mb database, 30 mb ungzipped. I tried restoring it, and it diddent finish completely before stopping. The browser status bar says done but page has a white background, and theres alot of text. Any ideas on whats rong, or how I could fix it? Or maby its really not fully completed? There ware only 5 tables in the database from this when viewing from phpMyAdmin, when there should be 39.

#2 Dreamgun, Nov 8, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  3. cothrun

cothrun Member

I ran into what might be a similar problem restoring a 15 MB database using phpmyadmin. Uploading in the browser would appear to work but would fail after a while, with no obvious error.

The simplest solution was to upload the forumbackup.sql file to the server, login via ssh and enter mysql --user=<yourDBName> [--password[=yourDBPassword]] [--host=mysqlHost] yourDBName <file.sql at the command line. The database imported in seconds.

The hard solution (which of course I tried first) was to open the forumbackup.sql file in a text editor, copy and paste small sections of it into new files and upload each of these small files into phpmyadmin.

Of course, none of this matters if the cpanel backup comes out different than a raw .sql dump from mysql. I guess I should go check.

4. Dreamgun

Dreamgun Member

You are unable to restore sql files as big as 15 mb through phpMyAdmin, it will always timeout. Im guessing it can handle no more then 1 mb. Just whats rong with the backup sql is what Im woundering, that shouldent matter what the size, thanks for your help I will try most likly, but I would still like to know how to use the backup in a CPanel account.

5. Dreamgun

Dreamgun Member

Yes it does, I did the SSH way.

6. dd2k

dd2k Member

how do i resotre using ssh

7. rodstewart

rodstewart Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Login via SSH

mysql -uUSERNAME -p newdbname < /path/to/dump.sql

change the username and newdbnameto to your own details.
    If you put in this you will be ask for a database password.
    Put it in and the databse will be restored.