Problem with Roundcube (sending) SMTP error: Authentication failure: STARTTLS failed

sirbrent

Sep 30, 2008
hello,

roubecube is the only webmail app enabled for my clients.
it was working like a dream (with the default configuration created by cpanel team), but today when i upgraded to the most recent CURRENT tree, and roundcube was updated to .2-stable, users are no longer able to send email. after composing their emails and clicking send they are faced with the "sending..." notification for about 2 min, and nothing happens.

The Roundcube error log shows this every time a user tries to send an email:

Code:
[30-Jan-2009 14:07:11] Invalid response code received from server (421): 
[30-Jan-2009 14:07:11] Invalid response code received from server (-1): 
[30-Jan-2009 14:07:34 -0800] SMTP Error: SMTP error: Authentication failure: STARTTLS failed (Code: ) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/program/steps/mail/func.inc on line 1248 (POST /3rdparty/roundcube/index.php?_task=mail&_action=send)
[30-Jan-2009 14:10:29] STARTTLS failed ():
I am hoping someone can help before i trouble the support team with a ticket.

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
hello,

roubecube is the only webmail app enabled for my clients.
it was working like a dream (with the default configuration created by cpanel team), but today when i upgraded to the most recent CURRENT tree, and roundcube was updated to .2-stable, users are no longer able to send email. after composing their emails and clicking send they are faced with the "sending..." notification for about 2 min, and nothing happens.

The Roundcube error log shows this every time a user tries to send an email:

Code:
[30-Jan-2009 14:07:11] Invalid response code received from server (421): 
[30-Jan-2009 14:07:11] Invalid response code received from server (-1): 
[30-Jan-2009 14:07:34 -0800] SMTP Error: SMTP error: Authentication failure: STARTTLS failed (Code: ) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/program/steps/mail/func.inc on line 1248 (POST /3rdparty/roundcube/index.php?_task=mail&_action=send)
[30-Jan-2009 14:10:29] STARTTLS failed ():
I am hoping someone can help before i trouble the support team with a ticket.
It is a bug in PHP's latest Net-SMTP module.

We will be patching it an sending out a new CURRENT very soon. The internal case number is #20266

sirbrent

Sep 30, 2008
A quick update. I was playing around with the roundcube configuration (usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php) and noticed a workaround until the module is patched/updated. This workaround normally shouldnt work, but seems to work with the current problem in the module.

normally there is a series of lines which should read like this:

Code:
// SMTP username (if required) if you use %u as the username RoundCube
// will use the current username for login
$rcmail_config['smtp_user'] = '%u';
for now Roundcube seems to work properly if you change it to this:

Code:
// SMTP username (if required) if you use %u as the username RoundCube
// will use the current username for login
$rcmail_config['smtp_user'] = '';

Tina

Jan 27, 2003
Just wanted to say

Me too!

Clients are upset. Please let us know when we should do an update.

Thanks!

Tina

Jan 27, 2003
Hi Brent,

I tried your fix and the mail sends successfully -- shows completed in exim_mainlog and is copied to sent mail folder -- but roundcube responds, unknown server error.

This fix doesn't expose any vulnerabilities in the application or the server?

Thanks for posting.

Tina

Serra

Oct 27, 2005
Florida
Changing '%u' to '' seems to have worked on my system as a temporary fix for C33795. I'm not seeing any error messages.

Edit: Something else appears to be involved. C33795 works on one server and not another.

Last edited:

FearlessG1

May 5, 2006
i to am having this problem, any update on the status of the fix. I tried the above fix but it did not work for me.

FearlessG1

May 5, 2006
hmm, i followed that post and changed from the 0, to 1 (allow) but after restarting csf, I am still having the same problem.

ocoth.au

Registered
Problem occurred on our server too. sirbrent's fix worked immediately without any need to log in/out or touch anything else (I was logged in, with an email ready to go, then made the change, then went back to the session and sent the email and it worked!).

Looking forward to a permanent fix.

Many thanks,

Tom

WebJIVE

Sep 30, 2007
worked like a charm.. thx..