Problem with Roundcube (sending) SMTP error: Authentication failure: STARTTLS failed

grindlay

Dec 8, 2004
Edinburgh, Scotland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Roundcube sending problem

Sirbrent's temporary fix worked for me too.
Presumably this bug affects PHP 5.2.8 ?
I have another server with PHP 5.2.6 and that is not affected - so perhaps rollback is an optional fix.
Also seeing some other issues with phpMailer - takes ages to negotiate an SMTP connection.
G.

Update - issue still present with PHP 5.2.9 on C34331.

Last edited:

shenzy

Apr 27, 2008
Chile
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Again I had the problem, but thanks to sirbrent Fix's my webmail is working again.
Again it was necessary to modify the config file of roundcube.

Versión de cPanel 11.24.4-RELEASE
cPanel Build 34387
Pantilla x3
Version de Apache 2.2.11 (Unix)
Version de PHP 5.2.6

In my case the firewall (CSF) was not the problem, my firewall settings remained unchanged:

SMTP_BLOCK = "1"
SMTP_ALLOWLOCAL = "1"

Last edited:

jez9999

Jun 10, 2005
Again, sirbrent's solution worked for me too. Question is - how did this rather serious bug make it into the RELEASE tree? I have my cPanel system set to automatically update according to the RELEASE tree, which I understood to be quite stable. I'd have expected testing to have ironed this bug out before it got pushed as an update to the RELEASE tree. Could any cPanel devs explain how this bug made it in? If it was caused by an error in a PHP version, why did you allow a RELEASE tree update to upgrade to this PHP version if it was gonna cause this bug?

What are we paying our licence for? Apparently your testing is inadequate. :(

Also, a second query - once the next RELEASE tree update is released, will my modified /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php file be overwritten with what it contained before, or do I have to manually restore it?

tywe

Oct 13, 2007
Yeah, this is a bit ridiculous.. Luckily the fix from sirbrent was posted and worked for me, otherwise I would still be dealing with upset customers.. Normally the release tree is mostly problem free, which is why we use it, but this was an exception :/

BenThomas

Feb 12, 2004
Houston, Texas USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This issue should be resolved automatically after tonight's upcp. We've added the following autofixer, which can be ran manually from the CLI:

/scripts/autorepair net_smtp_fix

This fix reverts Net_SMTP to the previous version. It just affects PHP used by cPanel (not the system PHP).

The root issue was a bug introduced by an update to Net_SMTP which we reported to the maintainer shortly after it was released. This issue is addressed in the next version of Net_SMTP.

jez9999

Jun 10, 2005
This issue should be resolved automatically after tonight's upcp. We've added the following autofixer, which can be ran manually from the CLI:

This fix reverts Net_SMTP to the previous version. It just affects PHP used by cPanel (not the system PHP).

The root issue was a bug introduced by an update to Net_SMTP which we reported to the maintainer shortly after it was released. This issue is addressed in the next version of Net_SMTP.
After that upcp, does the modified /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php need to be reverted manually?

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
After that upcp, does the modified /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php need to be reverted manually?

Code:
This should replace the broken one that comes with roundcube if its still their either way.

FearlessG1

May 5, 2006
this update fixed my problem, I can now send email. Thanks cpanel (hopefully next time it won't take so long to fix an error like this).

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Also, a second query - once the next RELEASE tree update is released, will my modified /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php file be overwritten with what it contained before, or do I have to manually restore it?
That file should only be modified when roundcube is updated.

norelidd

Jan 15, 2007
Is there a way to reinstall roundcube, or otherwise reset it and its configuration files?

I'm still having the error described here, even though I'm at C34483. Additionally, roundcube now says "unknown server error" whenever I do anything in it.

edit: the "unknown server error" went away after rebuilding apache/php to their latest versions, but I still have the sending error. I'd prefer to not employ sirbrent's fix as I need my users to send throught SMTP so the mail goes through ASSP.

Last edited:

Radio_Head

Verifed Vendor
Feb 15, 2002
Is there a way to reinstall roundcube, or otherwise reset it and its configuration files?

I'm still having the error described here, even though I'm at C34483. Additionally, roundcube now says "unknown server error" whenever I do anything in it.

edit: the "unknown server error" went away after rebuilding apache/php to their latest versions, but I still have the sending error. I'd prefer to not employ sirbrent's fix as I need my users to send throught SMTP so the mail goes through ASSP.
.. and recently also Horde is not sending throught SMTP , so ASSP can't parse outgoing Horde email (ASSP email interface is not usable) . Please can you return back also Horde smtp functionalities (similar to 11.23) ?

Thank you

norelidd

Jan 15, 2007
Well, I would suggest to wait on that until this problem is fixed, as right now Horde is the only webmail client that works

Radio_Head

Verifed Vendor
Feb 15, 2002
This morning I executed

# /scripts/upcp --force
It updated cpanel to cPanel 11.24.4-C34483 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9

Then (be sure you do this step after upcp) I executed this
# /scripts/makecpphp --force

These 2 commands fixed all webmail issues .
Horde, Squirrel and Roundcube works fine.
Also ASSP email interface (assp-white,assp-spam,assp-notspam..) works in Horde, Squirrel and Roundcube.

Last edited:

Radio_Head

Verifed Vendor
Feb 15, 2002
On some server before upcp I needed to execute also this (to have ASSP email interface functionalities in Horde)

# /scripts/fullhordereset