Problem with Roundcube (sending) SMTP error: Authentication failure: STARTTLS failed

Radio_Head

Verifed Vendor
Feb 15, 2002
All we know that you support only SPAMASSASSIN . However we were talking about the possibility to use Horde with "SMTP" such as in the past . With latest cpanel updates it was not possible and Horde email were passing directly to exim . However fixed, no problem at all.

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
All we know that you support only SPAMASSASSIN . However we were talking about the possibility to use Horde with "SMTP" such as in the past . With latest cpanel updates it was not possible and Horde email were passing directly to exim . However fixed, no problem at all.
That claim is not borne out by testing on unmodified servers. With the default installation of Horde and Roundcube, both performed SMTP Authentication.

jassi

Jun 23, 2006
India
vi /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php

and changed

$rcmail_config['smtp_user'] = '%u';
to
$rcmail_config['smtp_user'] = '';

FIXED....

Silent Ninja

Apr 18, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've recently had this issue, can you tell me which versions of RELEASE and STABLE from cPanel has or will have this issue solved ? I've recently updated our cPanel server, but not all of them have been fixed.

Also, I've found on the error_log some messages like this:
Code:
PHP Warning:  ob_start() [<a href='ref.outcontrol'>ref.outcontrol</a>]: output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used after 'URL-Rewriter' in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/index.php on line 45
PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function connect() on a non-object in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/program/include/rcmail.php on line 469
I'm not sure if they're related.

Silent Ninja

Apr 18, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
vi /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php

and changed

to

fixed....
This totally fixes roundcube smtp issue, and is compatible with the csf smtp owner restriction ! You rock jassi !

MMarko

Apr 18, 2005
A quick update. I was playing around with the roundcube configuration (usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/config/main.inc.php) and noticed a workaround until the module is patched/updated. This workaround normally shouldnt work, but seems to work with the current problem in the module.

normally there is a series of lines which should read like this:

Code:
// SMTP username (if required) if you use %u as the username RoundCube
// will use the current username for login
for now Roundcube seems to work properly if you change it to this:

Code:
// SMTP username (if required) if you use %u as the username RoundCube
// will use the current username for login

This helped, thanks :) I had that problem when roundcube is stuck at "sending..."

logikstudios

Nov 2, 2006
Thanks sirbrent! worked a treat!

However, anybody else noticing that on the disk usage in roundcube it says unlimited?

Best,

sirbrent

Sep 30, 2008
Thanks sirbrent! worked a treat!

However, anybody else noticing that on the disk usage in roundcube it says unlimited?

Best,
This has not happened with me, mail quotas are still properly recognized in roundcube on my servers.

onlyreal2

Nov 29, 2003
round cube mail not sending mails

hello

when i use roundcube mail to send emails, it just does nothing

i push send button , a box appears writing it is sending but nothing happens, mail not going nothing happening

sqmail and horde sends well only roundcube has this problem

any suggestion?
is there any error log etc i can check?

Promethyl

Mar 27, 2004
This problem has resurfaced in S38506!

AAARRRRGG!

cPanel 11.24.5-S38506 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9

For now I patched the configuration file.

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
This problem has resurfaced in S38506!

AAARRRRGG!

cPanel 11.24.5-S38506 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9

For now I patched the configuration file.
For reference, the STABLE build mentioned (11.24.5-STABLE_38506) was updated August 25, 2009.

If the Roundcube error log indicated the same message as reported in the original post of this thread, the following command should correct the issue:
Code:
# /scripts/autorepair net_smtp_fix

thewebhosting

May 9, 2008
Kindly check the email error logs for the exact error message. You can get the email logs from /var/log/exim_mainlog.

Promethyl

Mar 27, 2004
I used the same command and rolled back changes to the RC config file.

I hoped it might be automated by this point, but perhaps... =)

cPanelDon

Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
hello

when i use roundcube mail to send emails, it just does nothing

i push send button , a box appears writing it is sending but nothing happens, mail not going nothing happening

sqmail and horde sends well only roundcube has this problem

any suggestion?
is there any error log etc i can check?
Kindly check the email error logs for the exact error message. You can get the email logs from /var/log/exim_mainlog.
In addition to checking the Exim log, will help to check the specific Roundcube logs that are located at the following paths:
Code:
/var/cpanel/roundcube/log/console
/var/cpanel/roundcube/log/errors
/var/cpanel/roundcube/log/sendmail
Via root SSH access, the following command may be used to monitor the Roundcube logs while sending a test message in attempt to trigger the issue (and to see the resulting error details that are logged):
Code:
# tail -fvn0 /var/cpanel/roundcube/log/*

onlyreal2

Nov 29, 2003
this is the error i see
no idea what is :(

[10-Jan-2010 04:25:53 -0600] SMTP Error: SMTP error: Authentication failure: STARTTLS failed (Code: )
in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/program/steps/mail/func.inc on line 1248 (POST /3rdparty/roundcube/index.php?_task=mail&_action=send)
[10-Oca-2010 04:31:25] STARTTLS failed ():
[

cPanelDon

Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
this is the error i see
no idea what is :(

[10-Jan-2010 04:25:53 -0600] SMTP Error: SMTP error: Authentication failure: STARTTLS failed (Code: )
in /usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/roundcube/program/steps/mail/func.inc on line 1248 (POST /3rdparty/roundcube/index.php?_task=mail&_action=send)
[10-Oca-2010 04:31:25] STARTTLS failed ():
[
ok fixed using last sentence on this site

openhelp.net » Round Cube
The web site indicates a solution that is not recommended; it is not necessary to modify the Roundcube configuration.

The simple fix for the provided error detail is to run the following command via root SSH access:
Code:
# /scripts/autorepair net_smtp_fix
For reference please see the following thread that details the specific situation: Problem with Roundcube (sending) SMTP error: Authentication failure: STARTTLS failed - cPanel Forums

Note: I will merge the two threads as they pertain to the same issue in Roundcube.