The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with sending emails (shared IP is blacklisted)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tama88, Apr 25, 2012.

1. tama88

tama88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I have had trouble with sending emails recently and I was told that the reason is shared IP address is blacklisted. I asked the host server and they said they were requested to remove the IP out of the list but no guarantee that it will be stay off completely. Since I am new to Cpanel and not an IT professional, I'd like to have couple questions regarding to this issue:

1) What does share IP address mean? Does it mean the subdomains, email accounts in the main domain are sharing the one IP?

2) The host server guy recommended us to upgrade to dedicated IP address with a yearly charge. I'd like to know what effect this IP upgrade will have on our domain?

Any response would really appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. NetMantis

NetMantis BANNED

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Shared IP is another name for "name based web hosting" and it means that one IP number on the internet is being used for multiple or many different hosting accounts from other clients and not just your web hosting site alone. Under name based hosting, you cannot connect to your website by IP address; rather, only your domain name would allow you access to your website and you cannot use any SSL encryption so e-commerce so use of online stores won't work for this type of hosting.

Hosting with a dedicated IP means you could access your site either by your domain name or by the IP address and the IP number used for your site would be for your site only and no other and you would be able to optionally add SSL encryption later if you needed it. Unless the server where you are hosted is configured to send mail under account IP, changing you over to a dedicated IP would do nothing for you in terms of getting out from under the blacklisted IP address for email.

Just as a matter of clarification, both types of hosting are still "shared hosting". You may have your own unique IP number with a dedicated IP account but you are still sharing the network card and resources with other accounts who just simply have a different IP number.

A yearly fee for dedicated IP? That seems a bit odd unless you are paying for your hosting by year as well. Your upgrade terms should match your regular hosting billing cycle.

**EDIT** If you tell me your domain name, I can tell you if the IP it is on is really blacklisted and the reason why it was blacklisted usually. You could send that in private message if you don't want to publicly say your domain name.

#2 NetMantis, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. tama88

tama88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation! :)