The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with sending mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by domenetorget, Nov 28, 2005.

1. domenetorget

domenetorget Active Member

Hi,
    I've configured a new cPanel server, and everything is fine - exept sending mail. All mail are returned:
    When using the mail trubleshooter in WHM, the trace for the mailbox at "domain.com" is found OK.

From /var/log/exim_mainlog:
    Sending mail to another domain at the same server works fine. Also mail forwarding to recipiens outside the server.

I've never had this problem before, and do not know where to search for the error....
    Help!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Not too clear where the problem is.

Is it that you cannot send from the server to a particular domain on or off server?

If it's on server, is the domain your sending to in /etc/localdomains?

If it's off server, can you resolve an MX record for the domain from the server, i.e.:

dig domain.com mx

3. domenetorget

Yes I can resolve the MX records. I'ts not to a particular domain - it's to any domain outside the server.

**my hair is turning grey**

4. aby

aby Well-Known Member

try

/scripts/eximup --force

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's really odd. That error R=fail_remote_domains should never really be reached as the router R=lookuphost should always be hit first for remote domains. If it's failing the lookuphost router it might suggest either a problem with DNS lookups or a problem with /etc/exim.pl

A few ideas:

1. Check that the IP addresses for the namserver records in /etc/resol.conf are correct (which I guess you did with the dig earlier)

2. Make sure that /etc/localdomains only contains the domains on your server and run:

/scripts/mailperm

3. Force an exim update and watch it closely for errors:

/scripts/eximup --force

6. domenetorget

Thanks!

The /scripts/eximup --force fixed it! :)

(Why didn't I think about that??)

7. jxhosting.jamie

This only seemed to happen on one account which was using AWBS. Ive now moved that account to a different server and all seems fine.

8. gdi

gdi Member

A Similar Issue and Fix

Hello,

I was having this same issue. Anytime one of my php scripts would generate an email, it would never get delivered. According to the /var/log/exim_mainlog, I was getting the "unroutable mail domain" error. This was due to the fact that the mail was coming from nobody@hostname or root@hostname (which are both unverifiable).

Tried solving it through DNS and the suggestions above. Neither worked. I finally changed my php.ini file. I found the line in php.ini that deals with sendmail and I added the -f email@domain.com which solved the issue. Of course, when using -f email@domain.com you must supply a valid email address instead of email@domain.com.

Most importantly, anytime I recompile PHP, I'll have to remember to go back into the php.ini file and make this adjustment.

Hope that helps someone,
    gdi