Bob Weston

Oct 18, 2009
Hi,

I am having a problem with the service status reporting falsely that EXIM has failed. If I restart EXIM it shows it running but the Service Status always shows red (see attached screenshot).

Here is the history as to how this happened and I am hoping it is nothing big and someone can help me.

My /var partition is to small (10gb) and cannot handle all the databases in /var/lib/mysql so I decided I would symbolic link it to /home/var.

I copied the entire /var directory over to /home and was about to softlink it and thought to myself.. I do not need to softlink the entire directory, just the mysql directory. I w2as in the /home directory and wanted to delete the files I had just copied over from /var and made a mistake and deleted the entire /var instead of /home/var (it is amazing what one extra / in the command line does). This disabled my entire WHM and all websites immediately!

So, I copied all the files back from /home/var to /var. This also did not work the best because all the permissions were screwed up (everything owned by root), so I spent hours checking permissions from one of my other linux boxes and changing them appropriately.

So knowing all this info, what am I missing here to get this status to show correctly? The service is running correctly:

[email protected] [~]# service exim restart
Shutting down clamd: [ OK ]
Shutting down exim: [ OK ]
Shutting down spamd: [ OK ]
Starting clamd: [ OK ]
Starting exim: [ OK ]
Starting exim-smtps: [ OK ]
[email protected] [~]#

I appreciate any help.

Bob

Attachments

Bob Weston

Oct 18, 2009
Hi,

I hadn't checked my mail and am also getting emails stating that EXIM failed and could not be restarted, it states this being the reason:

<< 535 Incorrect authentication data
exim: ** [535 Incorrect authentication data != 2]

what would I have to do to fix this? I already ran /scripts/eximup --force

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Weston

Oct 18, 2009
OK, since I am talking to myself here I will post this information because I have resolved this issue myself. If anyone else has this problem here is how to fix it:

cd /var/cpanel/serviceauth/
rm -rf exim
/scripts/upcp --force

with this you are deleting the exim folder out of /var/cpanel/serviceauth/

when you run cpanel up it will reinstall it and fix the issue.

Bob