The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with SSL certificate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ctechsol, Jun 28, 2004.

1. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

I have a domain with an ip address and some sub domains with the same IP address. I purchased an ssl certificate and installed it in the WHM panel.

When i go to https://store.ctechsol.com it takes me to http://ctechsol.com. I am stuck and not sure why this is happening. I called freeSSL and they said I setup the certificate correctly and it's something on the server.

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide me. Thanks.

2. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

what you need is a wildcard SSL certificate in order for this to work, a standard webserver SSL cert won't work this way.

Mickalo

3. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

Thanks for your feedback. I was under the impression I need a wildcard SSL certificate in a case where I'd have a few subdomains that need ssl cert. I only want the one, so if I gave store.ctechsol.com a sep. IP, wouldn't that accomplish what I want done?

4. mickalo

a single webserver SSL cert require one FQDN, in order to work, with it's own unique IP address. If you have sub domains under the main domain, and you want to use those sub domains, then you will need a wildcard SSL cert, which will work then with any *.domain.com.

What you have will only work with domain.com or www.domain.com, depending how you applied for the SSL cert.

If you do a search on this forum for wildcard SSL certs, you'll find some good info on how to set them in your httpd.conf file.

Hope this helps :)
    Mickalo

5. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

I applied for store.ctechsol.com.

I tried creating store.ctechsol.com account in the WHM panel, but it does not give me the IP I select.

Since I applied for store.ctechsol.com and I get another IP for the subdomain, will that work?

6. mickalo

the store.ctechsol.com is not a FQDN, it's a sub domain, off of the ctechsol.com, so I don't that will work.

Mickalo

7. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

Thanks for your help.

8. mickalo

here's a link that should help set it up, if needed WildCard SSL

9. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

Thanks a lot! I wonder where I can find the httpd.conf file.

10. mickalo

if your on a Linux box, w/cpanel, it's usually in the /usr/local/apache/conf folder. Or do a locate httpd.conf at the shell prompt. Any changes to the apache conf file, don't forget to restart apache.

Mickalo

11. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Huh? How is store.ctechsol.com not a FQDN?

Not every cert needs to be a wildcard cert. If all you want secured is store.ctechsol.com, then getting a cert for store.ctechsol.com should suffice. I have a number of clients who use secure.domain.com for their certificates and they work fine.

There may be a conflict with a sub-domain. Do you have a "store" subdomain setup in cpanel?

12. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

Yes, I have store.ctechsol.com setup in cpanel. and the store uploaded to the store folder of the ctechsol.com domain.

I tried creating a new account of store.ctechsol.com in WHM once I delete the subdomain in cpanel. It works, but it gives me the same ip as ctechsol.com. I am trying to get my host to give me a new IP so i can use for store.ctechsol.com.

13. mickalo

Ok, my question is then, when applying for a single webserver 128 bit SSL cert, then wouldn't the "store.ctechsol.com" need to be a valid domain name, in order to order a cert for that domain.... that's the way I was told it worked,.... but I maybe missing something. :)

always willing to learn something new.
    Mickalo

14. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

So I guess now my question is, can I have a subdomain in the cpanel, or should I create a new account with the store.ctechsol.com?

With the same or different IP?

15. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Creat the sub-domain with its own IP# for store.ctechsol.com
    in WHM

Once done, you can add your cert to the ssl manager in WHM
    as long as the CSR is for store.ctechsol.com

16. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

Well I created a subdomain in cpanel for the ctechsol.com domain. I setup the store and everything is fine @ store.ctechsol.com.

I generated a CSR and installed a certificate for store.ctechsol.com. The certificate is not for ctechsol.com. However, in the WHM it comes up as ctechsol.com and store.ctechsol.com. If I type in the url, https://store.ctechsol.com, the ctechsol.com page comes up.

17. SarcNBit

I have never created a secure.domain.com subdomain. Try deleting the subdomain that you configured in cpanel (save the store data folder but nix the subdomain alias). Then try connecting to https://store.ctechsol.com/store/ . Does it work as expected? If not, then you may need to add an A record via DNS for store.ctechsol.com.

If you really want the store to appear at the root of store.ctechsol.com (without the store directory appended to it), then you need to place the files in the root of your web hosting space or create an addon domain account for store.ctechsol.com and load the cert there.

18. SarcNBit

Ordinary SSL certificates are issued to hosts not domains. In the FQDN you listed above, store is the host and ctechsol.com is the domain (without getting too technical). Every certificate issuing authority has there own way of doing things, but generally speaking all they are doing is validating that the information being listed (ownership, etc) in the host certificate is genuine (not if the host is a valid internet destination). There is no reason why you can't add DNS entries pointing 'igotreallyboredsoidecidedtocreateansslcert' to your current web hosting space and apply for a cert using that hostname. Once loaded (and configured), you could then send visitors to http://www.mydomain.com/index.htm to see your homepage (assuming you use index.htm as your homepage :p ) or https://igotreallyboredsoidecidedtocreateansslcert.mydomain.com/index.htm to see the same homepage via an SSL connection.

No cpanel subdomain setup or wildcard cert needed.

19. ctechsol

ctechsol Member

Well I got it working now and this is what I did.

I created a new account for store.ctechsol.com in the WHM. And uploaded the store there. Regenerated cert and it worked. It seems that the certificates can only be used for sub domains, if those subdomains are a root to the account. Makes sense? But it worked and my frustration for this is over. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.