The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with traffic on my site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SlackerCS, Dec 31, 2003.

1. SlackerCS

SlackerCS Registered

Howdy all. I'm having a weird issue at my website this month.

I can't remember a time I've broke 35GB of traffic in a month. My host is informing me that for December I did almost 150 GB of traffic! :eek:

I can't even imagine this is correct. All of the different things in cPanel tell me I'm doing just a little under a gig per day.

The problem is that my server crashed right before Christmas, so my cPanel install is only a few days old. And I don't have any logs from before the crash, so I can't see what might have been causing the traffic before. :mad:

My host says cPanel is totally unreliable as far as traffic is concerned. MRTG is apparently the only way to go. So I'm looking at the MRTG page now. Under the monthly section it lists:

Average In: 223.0 kb/s (0.2%)
    Average Out: 212.6 kb/s (0.2%)

Using this calculator here, that comes out to:

In: 72.25 GB
    Out: 68.7 GB

This is where I get confused. How it is possible that I'm doing almost as much traffic out as I'm doing in? I'm not even sure which is which, but shouldn't whichever one is download account for a lot more traffic than the upload? It doesn't make any sense for them to be almost equal. I asked my host about this and he said "Well, bursts do count :)" with the smilie and all. Huh?

Can anyone give me advice? Am I getting screwed here? If not, I need to figure out just what is so dang popular on my website and get rid of it. :D

Thanks a lot for any information. I really appreciate it.
    - Chris S

PS - I'm new to cPanel - and these boards have been a great help. Thanks!