The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with using secure email.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nicklas, Jul 27, 2010.

1. nicklas

nicklas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I have moved quite a few accounts from server A to server B.
    Some customers were using the secure email option now this uses the server hostname, the problem now is that since they are moved to the other server with a different hostname, customers are in problems with their email to collect or send.

How to solve this?

2. nicklas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The problem is huge because we can't contact the customer other by phone or pigeon. I hope some one can point out how to solve this. A solution for the long term from cPanel would be much appreciated, in these times secure mail is almost a 'must'

3. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

What exactly the problem is i.e. any error message they receive? And with secure mail due you mean smpts and pop3s? If yes, you have to make sure the clients change the hostname in the mail clients and you have a proper SSL certificate installed on the hostname of the server.

4. nicklas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

when using secure email, customers need to change port numbers and use the server hostname to collect or send (authenticate)
    So when swapped to the new server the hostname and ssl certificate are changed of course.

Customers have no idea because they simple can't any more send or receive email, the problem is that the new welcome email with their changed details is send, but they can't read it. So after a few days of no email they might try other means to contact us what is wrong you see, this is no good for both of us customer and hoster.

So, I would like to know can we do anything to get this sorted?

5. nicklas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No one a suggestion in how to solve this????

6. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

Change the hostname to the same one that the old machine had. They'll still have to accept the new certificate, but at least they'll get a new certificate without having to change the hostname in their email client. If the old machine is still up, this won't be a viable option, though (it only will work if you've moved everyone to the new machine).

Also, you could purchase an SSL certificate and install it for the hostname in WHM > Manager Service SSL Certificates area for exim, courier and dovecot so that the hostname doesn't have a warning prompt for an untrusted certificate.

If you do both, change the hostname to match the old hostname and purchase an SSL certificate installed onto the hostname, you will not have the issue any longer.

Of note, the better idea would have been to pre-email customers about the change beforehand and then they would have known to change before the move.

#6 Miraenda, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  7. nicklas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thanks for the suggestion, but i can't simple change the hostname, still having customers on old server...different IPs, a lot of software issued per hostname and so on...

I have installed the SSL cert in that way, because I don't like the generated ones to be honest.

Customers were informed about the move but we can't reach them to tell it is effective the move of their account.

I just don't understand why cPanel needs the Host ssl certificate and not per domain secure email.. that would be much better.