The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tiger, Apr 4, 2004.

1. tiger

tiger Registered

I started to host my domain on hosting-express. This webhost has cpanel. If I give in my domainname in Internet Explorer the I get only a cpanel picture and "there is no website configured at this adress." If I upload a index.html to the directory public_html I get the same page. What should i do?

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Contact your host.

3. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Also, try this, using the host's IP address and your username:

http://11.22.33.44/~username -- and while you are at it, try yourdomainname.com/~username

If these get to your index page, I'd suspect that the host's name servers aren't recognizing your domain name, even though your domain name is correctly pointed at his server.

However, if you aren't using his name servers, but those somewhere else, you might have the records pointing at the server itself - that would get you the same result. If you are at a registrar that lets you make record changes on the fly (such as eNom), rather than making you wait a day for every change, check and try:

Set the "@" record to A and the IP of the server
    Set the "www" record to CNAME and yourdomain.com.

(This is how I have a number of domains set at eNom, and when we changed servers last month I was able to reroute users to the new server in only a minute by just changing the one "A" record.)

Bill, not an expert at any of this, but have made every possible blunder and learned from my mistakes after only the 5th or 6th time...:D

4. tiger

tiger Registered

5. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

I'd say the nameservers need to be fixed somewhere.

If you are using your host's nameservers, then they have to fix them. Nothing that you can do, I believe.

If you set your own records in a different name server, then you need to fix them, probably as I outlined earlier.

6. tiger

tiger Registered

OK, I've written an e-mail to the host and hope to get sonn an answer.:)

But if I had changed my nameservers, lets say to www.zoneedit.com 's servers what would I have to write additionally to the IP adress of my host? How could I write my username?? Please give me an example. (Is it like this: jmusic@11.22.33.44 ??)

7. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

If you changed name servers, it takes a day or two for the change to be effective. Nothing you can do about that.

If that time has passed, then you want to change the DNS records where ever the name servers are.

If you are using the nameservers at your host, they have to fix the problem.

If you are using name servers at a registrar, you can (and have to) change them yourself. At my registrar, I set the DNS settings as follows and it works:

Set the "@" record to A and the IP of the server
    Set the "www" record to CNAME and yourdomain.com.
    Set the MXE record to the IP of the server.

So it will look like this, in the text fields of the screen:

@ A 123.456.123.456
    www CNAME domainname.com.
    mail MXE 123.456.123.456