dominet

Mar 23, 2002
I want to change the hostname of my server i tried &change hostname& option and it worked &fine&

But bounce email still showing old hostname. and if i go to EDIT SETUP still showing the old hostname with this note: This is the current hostname of this server. (The value of this attribute cannot be modified).

How to complete change the hostname of the box?

awsol

cPanel Test Bitch
Feb 8, 2002
Boston MA
Mine still says ns1.domain.com also in the edit setup. But my hostname was changed to gizmo.domain.com. After you change the hostname make sure to do Add an A entry for your hostname.

Annette

PartnerNOC
Aug 12, 2001
You can also check /etc/HOSTNAME. I've noticed that the option to change the hostname from WHM does not always change this item.

Annette

PartnerNOC
Aug 12, 2001
/etc/HOSTNAME is also present on many systems.

[email protected] [/etc]# more HOSTNAME
gaia.hmdns.net

If you don't have it, you don't have it, but you might consider adding it.

You can also check /etc/sysconfig/network to ensure that entry is updated as well. Do make sure you add an A entry as Steve says for the new hostname, too.

B

bdraco

[quote:494e0e38f4][i:494e0e38f4]Originally posted by Annette[/i:494e0e38f4]

/etc/HOSTNAME is also present on many systems.

[email protected] [/etc]# more HOSTNAME
gaia.hmdns.net

If you don't have it, you don't have it, but you might consider adding it.

You can also check /etc/sysconfig/network to ensure that entry is updated as well. Do make sure you add an A entry as Steve says for the new hostname, too.[/quote:494e0e38f4]

Redhat doesn't use /etc/HOSTNAME ... I think this is a slackware deal.

Annette

PartnerNOC
Aug 12, 2001
Mandrake, Debian, et al. However, for compatibility purposes (for older sw), RH recommends making /etc/HOSTNAME the same as whatever the hostname variable is in /etc/sysconfig/network. YMMV. dominet hasn't been back, though, so maybe one of these things worked for him. If not, we'll have to leave it to you. :)