The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems cleaning Tomcat Installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elenlace, Feb 2, 2003.

1. elenlace

elenlace Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a P4 2.0 Ghz server with 1.5GB Ram and Linux RH 7.2 using Cpanel with about 80 domains on it. It had been working fine for around 2 months with no major issues; the load was rarely above 1.00.

A customer requested tomcat so I went ahead and used the 4.x installer located in layer1.cpanel.net. As I then found out, it is broken or damaged in some kind as the load started to go above 30 or more very easily; email will hold; apache will die every couple of hours, etc.

I went ahead and &uninstalled& tomcat following the instructions in this forum. The load went down, but I still get around 15 or 20 processes like this:

&/usr/local/jdk/bin/java-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-src/build/bin:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-src/build/common/endorsed-classpath/usr/local/jdk/lib/tools.jar:/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-src/build/bin/bootstrap.jar-Dcatalina.base=/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-src/build-Dcatalina.home=/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-src/build-Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12-src/build/temporg.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrapstart&

They are runned by root.

I would like to remove those as well to clean my machine from the big mistake of installing tomcat 4.1.12. What do I need to do to prevent those processes from starting?

Additionaly, I have heard Tomcat 4.0.3 is pretty stable; is it also a resource hog as 4.1.12? I will eventually like to offer TomCat support to my customers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alessandro Arona
    elenlace.com - Mexico

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

In /etc/rc3.d tomcat is probably listed in the S99local startup file. Look for /usr/sbin/starttomcat in that file.

As for 4.0.3 we have had no issues running this version. Loads are fine and clients have had no issues using it.

Hope that helps

3. elenlace

elenlace Well-Known Member

Hi David,

Many thanks for your help. One last question: How do I get 4.0.3? I can't find it in layer1.cpanel.net

Many thanks,

Alessandro
    elenlace.com - Mexico

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

It's no longer on layer1.

#4 dgbaker, Feb 3, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2003
  5. nitromax

nitromax Well-Known Member

Hi David,

Do you still have the 4.0.3 Tomcat file somewhere? I tried going to the link you posted above as well as one other link I found that you posted, but the file is not there.

You might recall that I had you help me install Tomcat v4.1 a while back and we had problems with it. So I went back to v3, but for some reason it's not working now.

Also, when I try to restart Tomcat in Cpanel it trys to restart v4.1 not v3. So I have to do it manually.

At any rate, thanks trying to help me last time, and I hope I can get v4.0.3 up and going, as I have a customer that is now down.

Thanks! :)

6. mesranet

mesranet Well-Known Member

Hi,

Anybody still having a copy of Tomcat 4.0.3 from layer1 ?

Please help.