The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems in multiple FreeBSD 5.3/5.4 servers with cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by psyxakias, Mar 5, 2006.

1. psyxakias

psyxakias Member

Hello,

We have been providing cPanel as controlpanel option in hundreds dedicated servers of our hosting company and although I admit that there are cases that other controlpanels are having issues, lately more and more problems appear with cPanel and FreeBSD O/S. I am seriously hoping cPanel support gives some attention in compatibility issues and support FreeBSD more than now because we've been facing tons of problems.

Problem #1: In the last months of 2005, we started facing problems with FreeBSD 5.4. As we used to do with FreeBSD 4.xx and early 5.xx versions, we were installing the O/S (FreeBSD 5.4), cvsup'ing and upgrading to the latest -RELEASE (in order to have all the latest security patches), and then we were installing cPanel. cPanel installation was completing successfully on FreeBSD 5.4, WHM was functioning properly, but after logging to cPanel (TCP/2082), it was giving a "white blank page" (HTML source was only showing headers/footers, no other code at all). The strange fact is that this issue was NOT happening on earlier cPanel versions, I was able to copy older cPanel sources (WHM 10.1.0 cPanel 10.2.0-R82) from an old FreeBSD 5.4 installation and it was working smoothly, but installing (or keeping) outdated cPanel versions on new servers does not sound a good idea at all.

After several unsuccessful attempts to resolve the problem with the latest cPanel (CURRENT, EDGE, STABLE, RELEASE) and FreeBSD 5.4 latest -RELEASE , I had tried to contact cPanel's support that unfortunately was not helpful at all giving me delayed answers (at least 2 days for each ticket response). After wasting 9 full days in multiple boxes, I gave a last shot by downgrading O/S to FreeBSD 5.3 which seemed to resolve the problem and since then whenever a customer wanted FreeBSD 5.xx and cPanel, I was recommending 5.3 (with all O/S security patches of course) and everything was going fine, even though I'd prefer it to work with FreeBSD 5.4 (latest patched -RELEASE, not 5.4-RELEASE-p0).

Problem #2: Yesterday, cpanel.net was inaccessible for several hours making it impossible for us to activate licenses and install any boxes. I understand they might were doing maintenance so I requested patience from all customers waiting for new installation. However, even after the site came back up, we got a new problem. cPanel no longer installs on FreeBSD 5.3 boxes. It simply declines to install while trying to download Package index. I'm not sure if this issue is related to FreeBSD or cPanel, but due to the fact that cPanel mentions support for FreeBSD 5.3 on their website, it logically should be working.

So the problem now is that we cannot install cPanel, neither on FreeBSD 5.4 (blank page), neither on FreeBSD 5.3 (package index failed to download). If any of the two problems (preferrable 5.4 issue), does not get not resolved, we're forced to stop providing cPanel as controlpanel in FreeBSD 5.xx servers, something neither we neither our customers want.

The purpose of this forum post is to find out if there are any people having issues with cPanel 5.3-5.4 (beware, UPDATED FreeBSD 5.3-5.4, installing an outdated -p0 RELEASE contains tons of security risks and it's strongly not recommended) and if cPanel's support is willing to give some attention on these issues. I'd really appreciate if any of the cPanel's support members would like to have a direct contact about this issue as my point is NOT to blame cPanel but FIND a solution, before dropping cPanel as a choice from our server packages.

Thank you for reading my post. Below I am providing more information about the problem, the ticket history with cPanel's support include and the installation log that appear since yesterday in FreeBSD 5.3.

Regards,
    Aggelos.

More information about Problem #1:
    As I mentioned above, the problem is "blank page" after logging to cPanel (2082/TCP) while WHM (2086/TCP) works smoothly. I realized afterwards that this only happens on cvsuped FreeBSD 5.4 (which is why I started using cvsuped 5.3). I had already tried to open a ticket about the issue but I got quite disappointed with the responses I got in November 2005.

Ticket ID#: 116838
    [2005-11-03 18:17:58] <Aggelos> I gave a full description of the problem, informing them that blank pages occur on a cvsuped FreeBSD 5.4 server I have tried to install it.
    [2005-11-04 18:07:25] <Aggelos> I informed that another server is facing exactly the same problem
    [2005-11-05 14:40:01] <cPanel> (2 days later) "What CPU are the servers in question running?"
    [2005-11-05 14:52:57] <Aggelos> I responded them, providing them the full CPU brand/model/speed from dmesg
    [2005-11-07 15:09:47] <cPanel> (2 days later) They notified me that they're going to apply latest release build updates in an effort to resolve this issue and requested me to not do anything until they're done
    [2005-11-07 15:23:30] <Aggelos> I responded them that we're not going to do anything, until they're done
    [2005-11-08 02:46:13] <Aggelos> (1 day later) I requested them updates about the issue
    [2005-11-09 12:21:57] <cPanel> (1 day later) They responded me that they no longer be able to establish ssh session
    [2005-11-09 15:28:10] <Aggelos> I informed them that the server should be ok now and that we're getting pushed from the customer to remove cPanel and install Plesk, asking them to expedite if possible the troubleshooting
    [2005-11-09 15:44:43] <cPanel> They informed me that they're applying cPanel updates again
    [2005-11-11 13:18:30] <cPanel> (2 days later) They informed me that cpanel segfaults (which is true, that's what it does in any cvsuped FreeBSD 5.4 box I tried it). They requested me to run memtest86x.
    [2005-11-12 05:26:47] <Aggelos> I responded them that we'll do it, even though this happens in multiple boxes with different hardware specifications and I doubt it's the RAMs
    [2005-11-12 20:08:04] <Aggelos> I informed tham that memtest86 finished successfully
    [2005-11-15 15:39:18] <cPanel> (3 days later) they told me that they cannot access the server because root password changed. Of course this happened as customer couldn't wait 2 weeks without a server.
    [2005-11-17 15:45:01] <cPanel> (2 days later) there was an automatic response that the ticket is inactive from my side for 48 hours and will be closed
    [2005-11-17 17:50:24] <Aggelos> I gave them a full response notifying them that cPanel is impossible to run on a cvsuped FreeBSD 5.4 (5.4-p8 specifically) using any cPanel version: CURRENT, EDGE, RELEASE, STABLE and latest cPanel version, while in older cPanel versions it works with no problems.
    [2005-11-28 14:56:44] <cPanel> (11 days later) they told me they havent heard anything regarding this ticket and requested my permission to close it
    [2005-11-30 15:00:00] <cPanel> (2 days later) their system sent an automatic response that ticket will be closed
    [2005-12-02 15:00:00] <cPanel> (2 days later) ticket automatically closed

More Information about Problem #2:
    Since yesterday, this is what it gives while trying to install cPanel on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p27:
    Code:
    # sh latest
    Creating directory installd
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing cplyr1-cPanel..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
            ____                  _
        ___|  _ \ __ _ _ __   ___| |
       / __| |_) / _` | '_ \ / _ \ |
      | (__|  __/ (_| | | | |  __/ |
       \___|_|   \__,_|_| |_|\___|_|

Installer Version 10.6.0

Fetching http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/pub/CPAN/index.html (0)....@69.72.164.155......connected......receiving...70%...100%......Done
    FreeBSD detected!

***************** cPanel for FreeBSD ******************

Welcome to the cPanel installer for FreeBSD.

scripts/cPScript -> /scripts/cPScript
    scripts/cPScript/RpmUtils.pm -> /scripts/cPScript/RpmUtils.pm
    scripts/cPScript/SafeRun.pm -> /scripts/cPScript/SafeRun.pm
    scripts/cPScript/HttpRequest.pm -> /scripts/cPScript/HttpRequest.pm
    scripts/setupmakeconf -> /scripts/setupmakeconf
    scripts/portsup -> /scripts/portsup
    scripts/pkgmap.pl -> /scripts/pkgmap.pl
    scripts/pkgfixup.pl -> /scripts/pkgfixup.pl
    scripts/installport.pl -> /scripts/installport.pl
    scripts/fileversion.pl -> /scripts/fileversion.pl
    scripts/ensurepkg2 -> /scripts/ensurepkg2
    scripts/ensurepkg -> /scripts/ensurepkg
    scripts/cpsources.pl -> /scripts/cpsources.pl
    scripts/cpanelsync -> /scripts/cpanelsync
    scripts/cPanelRPM.pm -> /scripts/cPanelRPM.pm
    scripts/cPanelBSDPKGS.pm -> /scripts/cPanelBSDPKGS.pm
    scripts/bsdpkgpingtest -> /scripts/bsdpkgpingtest
    scripts/SafeFile.pm -> /scripts/SafeFile.pm
    scripts/RcsRecord.pm -> /scripts/RcsRecord.pm
    scripts/updatenow -> /scripts/updatenow
    scripts/HTTPreq.pm -> /scripts/HTTPreq.pm
    5.008006 is new enough!
    Ports are out of date.. updating....
    Package index download failed!
    Package index download failed!
    FATAL: rsync install failed.
    I know the first thing that anyone would think is: a) firewall blocking traffic (checked it, that's not the problem), b) DNS issue. I tried using alternative DNS servers but the problem remains, while our DNS server is functioning with no problems at all resolving cpanel.net and any sites:
    Code:
    # nslookup cpanel.net
    Server:         208.98.0.7
    Address:        208.98.0.7#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:   cpanel.net
    Address: 69.90.250.19
    Name:   cpanel.net
    Address: 69.90.250.18
    Having old perl (5.00x) was an issue on FreeBSD 4.xx for not installing cPanel, requesting newer version but that is not the issue on this case either:
    Code:
    # perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.6 built for i386-freebsd-64int

2. psyxakias

psyxakias Member

Update for the 2nd problem:
    Looks like the 2nd problem might be related with FreeBSD's ftp servers that recently stopped supporting 5.3 packages (kept only packages-5.4-release, 5.5-release, 5-current and 5-stable), preventing cPanel installation download packages index files. Installing manually rsync before starting cPanel installation makes it work, but then again it gives tons of "Package index download failed" errors and doesn't install all daemons properly.

So the most appropriate solution would be if cPanel team could check the FreeBSD 5.4 (latest -RELEASE) blank page that seems to happen with cPanel and FreeBSD latest patched 5.4-RELEASE or find a solution for 5.3 as well as it's still mentioned on cPanel's website:

3. psyxakias

psyxakias Member

Problem #1: cPanel has RESOLVED the problem in the latest -EDGE, thanks cpanelben (http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=50362)

Problem #2: Still having trouble, but since FreeBSD 5.4 is now working properly, I don't mind using 5.3 at all.

Thank you.

4. lagoth

lagoth Member

Any information for fix on problem #2?

Using 5.5 and same issues..

fetch: ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.5-release/INDEX: Can't open data connection
    Source: packages-5-stable
    looking up ftp2.freebsd.org
    connecting to ftp2.freebsd.org:21
    binding data socket
    initiating transfer
    fetch: ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/INDEX: Can't open data connection
    Source: packages-5.5-release
    looking up ftp1.us.freebsd.org
    connecting to ftp1.us.freebsd.org:21

5. psyxakias

psyxakias Member

Actually I still am having Problem #1 in some servers, even on FreeBSD 5.3 ones with cPanel Blank Pages . :confused:

6. bsdemon

bsdemon Registered

FreeBSD Courier (IMAP and POP3) problems

Hi, my server is running
    FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #2: Thu Aug 3 08:30:41 EEST 2006

my pop3 and imap is not working at all. When I try to run /scripts/courierup I got the following error in compilation

--- sinp ---

gmake[3]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/mail/courier-imap/work/courier-imap-4.1.1/gdbmobj'
    Compiling gdbmobj.c
    In file included from gdbmobj.c:10:
    gdbmobj.h:11:18: gdbm.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from gdbmobj.c:10:
    gdbmobj.h:20: error: syntax error before "GDBM_FILE"
    gdbmobj.c: In function `gdbmobj_close':
    gdbmobj.c:33: error: structure has no member named `dbf'
    gdbmobj.c: In function `gdbmobj_open':
    gdbmobj.c:44: error: `GDBM_READER' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:44: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    gdbmobj.c:44: error: for each function it appears in.)
    gdbmobj.c:50: error: `GDBM_WRCREAT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:54: error: `GDBM_WRITER' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:58: error: `GDBM_NEWDB' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:63: error: structure has no member named `dbf'
    gdbmobj.c:70: error: structure has no member named `dbf'
    gdbmobj.c: In function `gdbmobj_store':
    gdbmobj.c:87: error: syntax error before "dkey"
    gdbmobj.c:90: error: `dkey' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:93: error: `dval' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:96: error: structure has no member named `dbf'
    gdbmobj.c:98: error: `GDBM_INSERT' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:98: error: `GDBM_REPLACE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c: In function `gdbmobj_exists':
    gdbmobj.c:103: error: syntax error before "dkey"
    gdbmobj.c:107: error: `dkey' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:110: error: structure has no member named `dbf'
    gdbmobj.c: In function `gdbm_dofetch':
    gdbmobj.c:166: error: syntax error before "dkey"
    gdbmobj.c:170: error: `dkey' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:173: error: `val' undeclared (first use in this function)
    gdbmobj.c:173: error: structure has no member named `dbf'
    gmake[3]: *** [gdbmobj.lo] Error 1
    gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/mail/courier-imap/work/courier-imap-4.1.1/gdbmobj'
    gmake[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/mail/courier-imap/work/courier-imap-4.1.1/gdbmobj'
    gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/mail/courier-imap/work/courier-imap-4.1.1'
    gmakegmake: *** [all] Error 2
    *** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/courier-imap.
    ** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade32761.0 env make PORT_UPGRADE=yes
    ** Fix the problem and try again.
    ---> Build of mail/courier-imap ended at: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:16:14 +0300 (consumed 00:13:54)
    ---> Fresh installation of mail/courier-imap ended at: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:16:14 +0300 (consumed 00:13:54)
    ---> ** Install tasks 1: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed
    ---> Listing the results (+:done / -:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
    ! mail/courier-imap (missing header)
    ---> Packages processed: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed
    ---> Session ended at: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:16:14 +0300 (consumed 00:13:58)
    Running post install scripts for courier-imap....Done
    Waiting for cppop to shutdown......Done
    Waiting for cppop-ssl to shutdown......Done
    Waiting for imap to restart..............finished.

root 96595 0.0 0.1 1288 760 ?? S 12:16PM 0:00.00 /usr/local/sbin/courierlogger -facility=mail -pid=/var/run/authdaemond/pid -start /usr/local/libexec/courier-authlib/authdaemond
    root 96596 0.0 0.1 1496 972 ?? S 12:16PM 0:00.00 /usr/local/libexec/courier-authlib/authdaemond
    root 96597 0.0 0.1 1496 972 ?? S 12:16PM 0:00.00 /usr/local/libexec/courier-authlib/authdaemond
    root 96599 0.0 0.1 1496 972 ?? S 12:16PM 0:00.00 /usr/local/libexec/courier-authlib/authdaemond
    root 96600 0.0 0.1 1496 972 ?? S 12:16PM 0:00.00 /usr/local/libexec/courier-authlib/authdaemond
    root 96601 0.0 0.1 1496 972 ?? S 12:16PM 0:00.00 /usr/local/libexec/courier-authlib/authdaemond
    root 96602 0.0 0.1 1496 972 ?? S 12:16PM 0:00.00 /usr/local/libexec/courier-authlib/authdaemond

imap has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "couriertcpd is not running").
    Install Complete

--- snep---

Any sugestions ???

Thank you

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

8. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem on a 5.4 machine...Did you ever find a fix?

9. mixx941

mixx941 Well-Known Member

The fix to the courier-imap compilation problem is to reinstall gdbm and then build courier-imap again. For some reason the /usr/local/include/gdbm.h is missing.

Just did this and worked fine on 6.1-RELEASE. After that, a simple "/scripts/restartsrv_imap" started it.

-Mark

10. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Tried that and had compile errors. Had to remove cpanel from the machine and reinstalled and it...everything now works fine...:rolleyes:

11. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Well-Known Member

Having had this problem as well, I found that solution a few weeks ago on Google and it worked like a charm :)

We've been using FreeBSD + cPanel for over 2 years, now have almost 40 servers running that combination - I've never come across a problem I've not been able to resolve. The FreeBSD project has matured marvellously in recent years and it shows. I'll choose it over any Linux distro.